4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Understeer - 17x9 all around vs. staggered

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ in reguards to additional tire width helping in the corners..... nope

If one wants holding in the corners, go with no more than a 265 on a 9" wheel and even narrower, if one is into serious corner carving. The extra width of tire, just ends up rolling over the sidewalls and hurts da corner

Jazzer
Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Flip the quads or dump them and add upgraded LCA's, if you prefer. If the exhaust hits a bit, bend it out of the way.
Were the quad shocks an issue for you?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ in reguards to additional tire width helping in the corners..... nope

If one wants holding in the corners, go with no more than a 265 on a 9" wheel and even narrower, if one is into serious corner carving. The extra width of tire, just ends up rolling over the sidewalls and hurts da corner

Jazzer
im hoping you just mean that 265 on a 9 inch rim is best for that width of rim, not you cant use wider tires( and rims) to get more grip cuz you can? lol just keepin you on your toes.

Anyway i didnt in depth read everyone comments just skimmed so forgive me if i point something out someone said. But what i didnt see was any mention as to why under steer is in our mustang and so many other cars. Its a safety thing, sounds dumb but the under steer is there for a reason, because the average driver, and even probably some of the better ones have enough problems with the car pushing in a corner, but its controllable, ish, over steer on the other hand can be dangerous very quickly, especially on the road. So keep that in mind before you go thinking that over steer is fun and easy.

Now outside of that cautionary comment. With the throttle input being correct(usually with a clutch kick), i could power slide my car with the 18x10 295s on them with factory gearing just fine. you have to be confident in whats going to happen though because on a bolt on car, you have to be rather aggressive, and if you over shoot, you end up *** backwards.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'm sure he was meaning tire to rim ratio. A bulging side wall kills you in the corner. You want the tire width matched flush to the rim width.

The other thing to think about is how the width of the tire is translating the suspension to the ground. There is a point where the tire gets so wide that you are spreading your weight too far out, and will lose grip. There are the few who have the suspension set up right to run 10"/11" inch under an SN95. I've also seen guys run 255s that will stick in a corner better than those super wide set ups gone bad.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

< left window open too long again

^ Yup... that is why most cars factory understeer and was indeed referring to 265's on a 9" wheel It takes HUGE amounts of work to get the front end of the SN95 to really stick in the corners and not be "pushed" by a set of 315's without a ton of rear spring rate. Goes well beyond some neg. camber and extra positive caster with some serious geometry modifications up there. The situation gets more extreme when a PHB or WL with TA is installed. This will give the **** end massive amounts of lateral grip and understeer is much more difficult to cure. Go race-compound 315's and understeer only gets more prevalent.

NewEdge.... my quads have been gone for about 6 years now. Had them babies yanked out like wisdom teeth without anesthetic about 6 years back. No doubt the 11" wheels and huge amount of axle-articulation I have, they would never work.

Jazzer
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
Thanks Triangle, my main worry now is the rear scraping the quad shock or exhaust. I have a catback flowmaster American thunder which looks like it has room for the wheel, but I've been hearing some say fits and some says scrapes.
I had no problem with my 315/35/17s on a 17x10.5 rim. I had quad shocks and loweredas well.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Here's how this goes...You have wide tires out back and narrower ones out front? Buy a more aggressive front tire than the rear to balance out the traction situation if you feel you need more grip up front.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ that is one way to do it, but The Jaz has a better way