4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Why did you get a New Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

My first sport/pony car was an LS1, 98 Trans Am. I drove that for 7 years and when the time came to sell it, I wanted to stay in pony cars. I ended up with an 04 convertible GT, it was a great car but not quite in the same class as the TA. I am not mechanically inclined to do mods myself, so after a couple of years I traded for a Cobra, but stayed with the New Edge. I still think they're the best looking modern Mustang. I can't get onboard with the bigger retro trend in pony cars that came after the New Edge...
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

Well, i was looking at foxbody and up GT's and i came across a couple but nothing special but then i saw her. 47k miles. perfect condition, and a 2002 GT. i had to have it so we bought it. and i dont regret it 1 year later. And doesn't hurt that it appeals to cute high school girls either. Just the other day my friend saw my car for the first time and said " you're gonna get some girls in that thing." and that afternoon leaving the school, sure enough, a cute girl i know was like " I Love Your Car!" and my friend just looked over and said "told you so."
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Heh I had a tomato red '82 Toyota Corrolla Tercel in high school (I graduated in '90). I woulda killed to have a Mustang GT back then...
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

I wanted something that was reliable, dependable and had the 4.6L engine in it. I have had good experiences with the V8 modular engines so that is what I wanted. They are an excellent combo of power, economy and reliability. I was looking at crown vics, and thunderbirds mostly and stumbled across my 02 GT and was thinking why no go a little sportier then the other sedans.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Mustangs have been in my family since I was born and even before that. We had a 4cvl fox that I adored as a kid. Naturally I fell in love with a cobra and always wanted one. I saved for an entire year to buy my Bullitt. The subtle cues of the car made me fall in love with it.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by '02gtgarrett
Well, i was looking at foxbody and up GT's and i came across a couple but nothing special but then i saw her. 47k miles. perfect condition, and a 2002 GT. i had to have it so we bought it. and i dont regret it 1 year later. And doesn't hurt that it appeals to cute high school girls either. Just the other day my friend saw my car for the first time and said " you're gonna get some girls in that thing." and that afternoon leaving the school, sure enough, a cute girl i know was like " I Love Your Car!" and my friend just looked over and said "told you so."
She's a beauty. Go to love the mineral greys!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

My first car was a '91 Camaro RS with a 305. My dad wanted to get me a new car for graduating high school. He liked the look of the new mustangs at the time and I've had it since then. 8.5 years later I still have it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Because my wife wanted one. lol Too bad she got a GT instead of a Terminator. Maybe I would have liked it more. The seat were terrible compared to my 96.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Back when I had mine I basically made the purchase because of the affordability, looks, and sound...certainly not for the PI headed 2 valve lol
Oh come on now, I'm a former LS1 owner (bought brand-new a 2000 Z28 T-top, Hurst in the summer of 2000), but you have to also admit that for its displacement, the 4.6L 2v is not bad. If you consider that the 5.7L LS1 probably made about 340hp stock vs. 260hp stock for the 4.6L, at 80% of its size, the 4.6L would be making identicle per-inch power if it were at 272hp. Granted, it's 260, not 272, but it's also 9.5:1 compression vs. 10.1:1, so what would the 4.6L do with 10.1:1 compression? I'm sure more than 12 more hp. This is assuming a belief that the F-body version of the LS1 actually made 340hp, while some might argue it was closer to 325 (though nobody would argue that the factory 305 rating was ever true).

Anyway, I bought my New Edge, because I like the body style, LOVE the sound (with Flowmasters), and a co-worker of mine had this car for 9 years, then sold it to me for a good price.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
Because my wife wanted one. lol Too bad she got a GT instead of a Terminator. Maybe I would have liked it more. The seat were terrible compared to my 96.
Umm, the seats are different? They look the exact same.

Quick Reply: Why did you get a New Edge?