4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Why did you get a New Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Default Why did you get a New Edge?

I know on the surface it seems like an unusual question, but you'd be surprised what people tell you that you might not have known about a car.

I just sold my 2005 GTO and had been tooling around on my motorcycle. I was thinking about a pickup, and I just happened on this beautiful 01 on a lot. I've always liked the New Edge and the price was right, so i got it. I like the 4.6 engine and figure the power to weight ratio is pretty good. Considering other rides out there, the 99-04 Mustangs are relatively light and have an engine that's known for being reliable. I know you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mustang, but there's a reason why they're so popular. I think I made a pretty good choice.

A friend of mine had a 99 with a blower on it back in 2000. I think he'd put a mild cam in and had done a few other things. Anyway, he put the V6 badges on it to fool people. It was STUPID fast.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well when I had a 99 Cobra I bought it out of shear necessity. I know that sounds crazy but the motor on my 95 blew so I was without a car and really didn't have the time to build it, and my plans were to restore the car and drive it on the weekends and for shows so I needed a new daily driver. I wanted an 03/04 Cobra but there were none around for a good price in good condition. All had high miles, or were modded beyond what I wanted and wasn't really practical. So I bought my 99 Cobra which I had for two years. Then sold it and bought my 08 and 11 Mustangs.

Even to this day, I prefer the layout of the 94-04 Mustangs. While I love the power response and suspension set up of my newer cars (which in my opinion is superior to that of Sn95s) I can't say that I love their visibility. Lots of blind spots in these cars that can make them a bit tricky to drive. It's amazing how the most minor things will stick out, but the visibility in 94-04s is two times better than that of the S197s.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

The looks was what did it for me....nothing like a new edge lowered with 315s out back. I love the exhaust tone on them too compared to the s197 and other models. If i ever get another mustang it will definately be an 03 cobra no matter how old they are lol.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Fausty, that car is beautiful. Do you have any more pictures? Is that a wrap, or is it paint? I love a car that's all murdered out in black.

Last edited by Nomad8888; 10-26-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I like the way the car looks with its sharp lines and sh*t. They did very well with the rear end on these cars. When growing up, getting towards the early teen years, a guy or two at work always had a Mustang so I was kind of fond of them. I liked the V8 and RWD...and considering my budget, I liked the new edge over the S95 and fox bodies. Plus there are a lot of aftermarket items for this car, and they are not too expensive compared to the newer bodystyles (though that will be typical for any vehicle).
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

my 2000 was my first Mustang and the reason i am still driving Mustangs today!

Although the 2000 is long gone, it was a joy to drive for the 100000mi I owned it!
What really sold me on it was the look and direction Ford was taking with the Mustang. IMO the New Edge was the start of the retro pony look.

I drive my 2012 every day, but the more i do, the more I keep fighting back the urge to go buy a New Edge for a 2nd 'Stang
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

I was 17, it was cheap, and it was a mustang so I bought it lol.

I like the body lines of new edges (and sn95s too) and they way they sound. Plus 2v are the underdog of the performance world and who doesn't like an underdog?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Plus 2v are the underdog of the performance world and who doesn't like an underdog?
Bottle of Johnny Walker Black for you, my friend.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nomad8888
Bottle of Johnny Walker Black for you, my friend.
Being a poor college student I might have to take you up on your offer lol.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

When I first started at looking into getting a "sportier" car, I looked at the 05-09s. I thought the 99-04 looked horribly retarded. But I have never seen a nice New Edge in person, most here are beaten up v6's. Well on the way from the Ford dealership I spotted this blacked out new edge, loud as hell, tires wider than you know what. I was hooked, I tried to keep up with it down a tunnel in my Ram, but it was a fail. I found my car up in Seattle, used to be a track car, but the previous owner just traded it in for a truck. I took it home, what a POS. I have almost double into fixing it than what I paid for her. But dammit, I love the Stang to death, My pictures of it just doesn't do justice, it's a sharp car, and I get compliments on it all the time as if I drive some 100k+ car. It's gotta be the color and how mean it sounds. I recently looked at getting a 2013 GT500, almost bit the bullet, but I just couldn't, My New Edge was just staring me down from across the parking lot telling me not to do it! So I made up my mind that i'm going to give her a real nice make over.

Quick Reply: Why did you get a New Edge?