4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Where to Start Modding

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 AM
MasterLanMan

Default Where to Start Modding

Hey everyone,

I'm finally getting around to modding my 2003 2V 4.6L V8 convertible, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do first. I already have an MGW short throw shifter, but here's a list of things I'm considering, if you have anything to add, don't hesitate to let me know!

-CAI
-TB
-Upper Intake Plenum
-X-Pipes
-Catback Exhaust
-Headers
-Hitech Stage 2 Cams
-Bama Tuner
-Upper/Lower Control Arms
-Strut Tower Brace
-Rear Shock Tower Brace
-Sway Bar Kit
-Subframe Connectors
-Camber Plates

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MasterLanMan
Hey everyone,

I'm finally getting around to modding my 2003 2V 4.6L V8 convertible, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do first. I already have an MGW short throw shifter, but here's a list of things I'm considering, if you have anything to add, don't hesitate to let me know!

-CAI
-TB
-Upper Intake Plenum
-X-Pipes
-Catback Exhaust
-Headers
-Hitech Stage 2 Cams
-Bama Tuner
-Upper/Lower Control Arms
-Strut Tower Brace
-Rear Shock Tower Brace
-Sway Bar Kit
-Subframe Connectors
-Camber Plates

Thanks in advance!

Preety good starter list. Speaking from experience I wouldn't get a CAI system. On the 2V they are a complete waste of money. If you're going to go with a TB I would advise you (since youre N/A) to go with a 70MM. 75 and 78 could be a bit to much for your setup. Headers are a very good option and I would normally suggest LT's but being that you are from CA that may not be a option. I would most def not install shortys tho. For the price of the headers and the pain of putting them on it's not worth it. Good luck with your build and keep us posted.

Last edited by Soldier GT; 05-19-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:12 PM
MasterLanMan

Thanks will do! Also, I don't know how I forgot these, but:

-Underdrive Pulley
-4.10 Racing Gears
Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

The pulleys will do a little but by far the best bang for the buck will be gears (410's FTW).
Old 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The car comes with a better CAI from the factory than any aftermarket one so dont waste your money on one. x pipes need a straight through muffler to not sound like a ricer, H pipes sound good with a chambered muffler. All depends on how the cops mess with loud cars as to what you should get. I would go with CMS cams over hitech any day. Ditch the shock tower braces they are a waste of money and get the k member brace for convertables instead. TB and plenum are not worth the money until your ready to go with some sort of FI. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

You need to apply what you have already a lot better which is gears first and then the other mods may work a little better as you will already be able to accurate much quicker with the gears and add a tuner .. then start adding the other stuff..

My car is different as it's an auto and I run 4:56 gears and a tuner plus better mufflers and I added the cheap CAI and have the Trickflow plenum.. my next mod would be NOS but the car has no issue as to accurate already as my issue is traction as I need to drop the top and have a full tank of gas to hook up on the stock tires ..

but it is fun when the kids roll up on me thinking my car is just a 100% stock GT as that is just how it looks and I even had a really nice local mustang with a built engine camming like crazy as the guy spent some money on it trying me and when I started pulling away from him well he just turned left lol.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

I am still in a (overtime modding) but I just added some MSD Blaster coil packs and a mod I think is worth every penny as I made my 4.6 feel a lot stronger .