Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10's installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

glad your all gung ho there bro but because im in the trades dont mean im under something.. I was a paramedic for 6 years and tought for almost 2 before taking on a carear change.
but glad to hear your confident of your capabilities and i hope if you do choose to tackle the gear install yourself, it works out for you. but if it blows up or whines you only got yourself to blame.
good luck again and take a chill pill.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

ok so were cool?
but im not gonna shoot you down for ambition,
just wanna make you aware of whats all there
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

yeah man, sorry I blew up, your just trying to be cautious and thats cool. This is one of the better install guides I had found on gears, but hell even in his guide I can tell hes doing something wrong.... it looks like hes tightening his bearing with a impact wrench. From what I read thats a great way to ruin your bearing. but who knows, its just a pic (figure 18)
http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html
Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

yeah impact is for taking stuff off not putting stuff on (especially sensitive things)
if you need speed use a air wrench... daddy always said right tool for the job.
Anyways let me know how it goes for you and if all is well i "might" reconsider
I mean if lab rat marine can figure it out....
Kidding. Take good care man and let me know how it goes and what you do
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

its a pretty thurogh walk through but i noticed its for the last model stang... I dont know how simular they are to the new one. I know there the same size but i just dont know if its all the same.. especially when hes talking about not needing to musure the bearing depth...
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
I am about to have 4.10 FRPP gears on my 07 GT at Woodlands Performance Center in Texas (if anyone has experience with them). They will do total install incl bearings etc. Total cost 925.00 + Tax (incl parts) and guarantee no whine. After 500miles they require 1 oil change for an additional 50 bucks. It seemed to me as lots of doe, but they inspired confidence with their talk. What do you think?
I think they see an opportunity for a little "Additional Dealer Profit"

Labor should not exceed $300 especially for an FRPP "A" gear install. The FRPP gears have the same tolerances as stock so setting them up properly (and having zero whine) is easier than with the Motive gears, etc. That being said, any helical cut gears when set up right do not whine but the diffculty in the set up is why you hear people say (incorrectly) that Motive gears are noisy.

Also, the factory gears don't seem to require this $50 oil change after 500 miles.....
Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

yeah, not needing to measure the pinon depth as 07stang was saying, is what makes alot of trouble. Becaus the system ford uses and the equation they give you to calculate shim, you do not need to measure pinion depth. If you try to do that on anything but FRPP cams, your probably gonna mess up your install.

Anyway, dont know how mechanicaly inclined the OP is, was just trying to give him another idea on how he can do this, without dropping 900. Hell if if knows somone with the tools, he can do it for free. But you have to be good with tools and do MASSIVE RESEARCH before you losen a single screw. This is not a project to start if you are not sure you can finish. i know I have read about 6 different how tos, the ford manual, the instuctions that come with the gears, and even a bunch of videos on people showing how to do all the sensitive parts the right way, like anything that needs a required tolerance. Check around on youtube, theres some videos on there on how to rebuild a ford rear end.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

JD ment to say bolt not screw...
(sorry man had to do it)
As for a fluid change after 500 miles. I would do it. why? well use a cheap rear gear oil to allow the new parts to "break in" in this process there will be some material that comes off the new parts. also im sure there will be some garbage left over from install... left over marking compound, excess locktight, ect ect ect.
flushing the fluid gets rid of this and also gets rid of the crap oil to make way for the synthetic good stuff...
same reason why you dont put synthetic in the block right from the get go... well SRT's aside but there dumb.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
JD ment to say bolt not screw...
ROFLMAO!!!! your such a JERK! but you are correct sir. I stand corrected
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

sorry man i had to!
Its all good though. Hows the back?

Quick Reply: 4.10's installed