Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CA legal exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
laxplayer1028
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're going with just an axle back you'll be fine. I had Borla Stingers and an O/R H pipe for a while and I actually had a cop tell me he liked the way my car sounded...in Berkeley of all places. Just don't be stupid about it.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 AM
jfkdm
1st Gear Member

thanks guys for the help, yea i live in socal, near buena park,

i actually live in la palma, but its like 2.3 square miles so i doubt you guys will know where it is at, but it is right next to buena park and cerritos and such,

actually any body know john f kennedy high school, in la palma, thats where i live!

so im likely to not get caught as long as i have good judjment, so then what kind of exhaust should i get? just asking for opinions here, since im only 16 and this is my first car, i dont really know much about them, not to mention they took auto shop out of my school
Old 07-14-2009, 12:46 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jfkdm

i actually live in la palma, but its like 2.3 square miles so i doubt you guys will know where it is at, but it is right next to buena park and cerritos and such,

actually any body know john f kennedy high school, in la palma, thats where i live!

so im likely to not get caught as long as i have good judjment, so then what kind of exhaust should i get? just asking for opinions here, since im only 16 and this is my first car, i dont really know much about them, not to mention they took auto shop out of my school
I am going to offer you some advice that I hope you take. Go to GTR in Rancho and ask the shop owner if he could let you hear is car. Then ask him what he put on. I guarantee you will end up ordering and buying the spintech.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

This was mine with an off road x-pipe, resonators, and straight piped mufflers. I live near Ontario which is street racer central and never had problems. I still have the straight piped mufflers and if you're interested my dads mustang only has those on it and you can listen to them in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq1XIFRpfx8
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS PRIME
that sounds good!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jfkdm

I know where thats at, I actually work in La Palma lol. I have JBA shorty headers, Magnaflow Tru-X x-pipe, and Borla Stingers...and Hot Rod Cams. If you wan't a bad *** sounding car, throw some cams on there lol. I'm actually thinking of switching over to long tubes sometime in the future.

The thing you need to worry about isn't the police (not with the obnoxious f'n ricers around here with their fart cannons) but getting the car smogged and passing the visual inspection. If you have a way around that then you have a lot more options.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
jfkdm
1st Gear Member

to s197winstang, thank you i will go out there when i get the time hopefully this week. thanks

to sleepdeprived lapalma lol, i might have seen you stang a few times but im not sure, there is one running around here that is a candy apple red metallic with a really wide flat gray stripe from bumper to bumper, have u seen that one? well actually he lives in buena park but hes goes areound in la palma a bit.

and to everyone else thanks guys you guys really help alot, so have anyone had trouble getting your cars smogged with these mods?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

It really depends on what state you reside in. A lot of these folks aren't in California so the emissions laws are not nearly as strict. In California cams, headers (even shortys w/o a carb e.o. number), and anything other than the stock cats means you're not passing. When you go out to GTR ask them about it, I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction
Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Go to your local CHP office and ask them about Db ratings. Most city cops are idiots when it comes to those unless you talk to those in PB (Pacific Beach) where all the partiers are and they HAVE to know that stuff.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
5TH

So glad I found this post. I'm too in the market for a new exhaust system. I have a 2006 GT Coupe and I've been debating on what products to use.

I was thinking of...
A: Magnaflow Tru-X X-Pipe (Catted) w/ Magnaflow 'Magnapack' Catback System....

or

B: Mustang GT Power Upgrade Package w/ GT X-Pipe..

I will be first to admit, I don't know a great deal about cars, but I know logic and reasoning so I just need some sound advice from the ppl who do know about mustangs. I'm a FLEO so getting pulled over is not a problem for me, but I do have sound judgement as far as when to and when not to "show off". Please help me out?

Thanks.

Oh yea I'm in Torrance, CA so I too must abide by the emissions BS...

Last edited by 5TH; 07-15-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Needed to add where I live.

Quick Reply: CA legal exhaust