Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortechv3 install..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

ha ha, reading is a good thing if I have any tips from my kenne bell install it would be to read ahead a couple of steps then do the step your on. there were one or two places where the directions were good but I would have done things in a slightly different order to save some time.

so when is that intercooler coming stealth?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
ha ha, reading is a good thing if I have any tips from my kenne bell install it would be to read ahead a couple of steps then do the step your on. there were one or two places where the directions were good but I would have done things in a slightly different order to save some time.

so when is that intercooler coming stealth?
ASAP lol

Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
hell yeah! lol

dude, the sound was what surprised me the most.. it was soo friggin' loud sounding. I heard clips of it on you tube, but those do it NO justice. At times, the whislte was so loud, it hurt my ears!

And I thought the centris were supposed to be "quiet" lol.
no way, this thing sounds great.. vids up later... I have to deal with a leaking thermostat housing issue. I don't think I tightened the torque bits tight enough on the little platform so I have to re-do that step. dang it.. I want boost NOW!

On a side note.. I will definetly need an intercooler later, that sucker got real warm real quick...
You can barely hear mine, at idle it kind of sounds like a jet turbine but once you get moving its pretty quiet (except for the bypass). My exhaust is loud though (slp loudmouths).

I'm doing a fmic (air to air) smaller pulley, long tubes, x pipe, driveshaft and clutch next (all parts ordered, jut need to get it installed and tuned!). I ran a 12.9 completely heat soaked with a 2.2 sec 60 foot time with the brenspeed non-h.o. kit and 4.10s.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

a front mount air to air would be cool, they always look cool why you didn't want to go with an air to water?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

a front mount air to air would be cool, they always look cool why you didn't want to go with an air to water?
air to air looks awesome
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

ha ha, that's always a good reason

I looked at Vortech's air to water setup and it's a pretty cramped setup. it's almost like there's no room for the air to flow after the radiator.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
hmm, mine wasn't that loud. You could hear it at idle spinning in there, but at WOT it was mostly drowned out by the exhaust, except for the bypass release on shifting... perhaps the shorties and delete plates make it louder. Mine was otherwise stock. Grats man! You'll see the IATs rise right away because of nature of the blower after going WOT. Mine didn't seem to really display any real power loss until the IATs got above 125 fwiw.
heres a vid with the cut outs OPEN and I could still hear the whistle nice and loud lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPXGaSF8PU
Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

ha ha, that is pretty loud

I gotta make some more videos of mine to post them up, it's noticeable at idle but not like that
Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ha ha, that is pretty loud

I gotta make some more videos of mine to post them up, it's noticeable at idle but not like that
lol I thought I messed something up- that thing whistles!

Definetly post up some vids of the Kenne Bell!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. damn, I NEED some TIRES! lol

Just went for a cruise and the got on it a couple times. The auto is so jeckell and Hyde because it goes from cruise to WOT very violently at a low speed. The 4.10s literally make the car want to sideways when I floor it from 30 or so. I can drop it in gear manually and then gun it to take away the jump, but than that only tames it down too much. The top end with the OD off is awesome but tops out far too quickly. Low to mid-range is where the power feels the most increased, even violent lol. The 4.10s love boost, but my tires hate it! Surprisingly, car didn't get too hot even after cruising for 2 1/4 hours. Gobs of power throughout the power band, though nearly no traction down low... definitely have to upgrade next season to an air-to-air intercooler and fat o tires..

Quick Reply: Vortechv3 install..