Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Nitrous worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
You already had one thing go boom on you.
If you do spray you better make sure you are WELL within safe limits.

You NEVER know what can happen and the more you push it the more risk you take.
If you are at 450rwhp already you better watch your ***.
If I was at that power already I would not do it.
^^^^^^yep, if your heatsoaked and then add another 50 or 60hp I think that will stress the motor. If you running a stock block I wouldn't do it, not with the blower.

It can be done as said above......
Old 07-23-2011, 04:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The Nitrous is more to cool down the intake charge than to add any real hp... say, to keep things cool so it does make the normal 450-460whp rather than dropping that extra 50 or so when things get hot.

it's my understanding that hot air is worse for the motor than cold air, but I get what you guys are saying.. it's no big deal, I can let that car cool down between runs of 3-4..
Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My car will run two to almost three tenths slower when at temperature. If your going for a PB then cool it down, get ice bags, fans blowing on it, race at nite, and check the DA. If it's high your kinda screwed. PBs are achieved when the conditions are ripe for it. Hot lapping your car won't get you there.
For me, my first two runs are my opportunity for a PB. After that I run at temperature so my time is predictable and I don't get eliminated. The first runs are when my car is the coolest.

A meth kit might help you cool your charge. And Marc S over at s197 blew his motor last month and has already rebuilt it even stronger. It's the fastest most impressive turn around I have ever read about. The dude has the means, motivation and time. It's a great thread.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Id like to know what chandler said or who ever you talked to at brenspeed. Like has been stated before I would do meth injection or buy a small generator and some fans and ice bags and u can cool it off that way. Let us know what they tell you and what u decide to do
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Well, they're not huge fans of meth injection but he did say the intercooler N2o mist was a good idea and they have used it their turbo cars to keep the IAT's down. Pretty sure he's not gonna be on my side about the N2o (shots) with the forced induction I have, and would rather have my get a hold of 93 octane gas, increase the timing and net me another 50 or so whp. Putting me right about at the 490-500whp range, and at 450-460whp range when it's hot. Which isn't bad, considering I am right at 400-420 right now, hot.

I chatted with him a few times and he suggests 93 gas/tune over any other options other than the intercooler mist. Since I am air to air intercooled, there aren't many options other than meth or a N2o mist. It's really no big deal.. I can run in sets of 2-3x, rest for about 15-20 minutes, then go again and make sure the runs count!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I wonder why they are not huge fans of meth injection. Sounds like u will have it figured out. I would say that u will be safe with what your doing. These cars and the stock block are suppose to be good at around 500 to the wheels if im not mistaken and of course the tune has to be good. I remember when I first thought about extra hp NA and I initially wanted to go the Nitrous route but chandler talked me out of it and im glad he did. i enjoy having the power when ever I want with the saleen.

When do u plan on getting this done and how are u gonna spray it. How much is that **** for a bottle now.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Do you have an air/water intercooler?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you have an air/water, you will get a huge benifit from using a larger tank for your intercooler water and a really good HE.

Look at what the guys with all of the TS blowers have done to keep their IATs down.

I use a large tank and ice. My IATs are at ambiant when i fill my tank with ice.

I gain .3-.4 and 4 mph.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I wonder why they are not huge fans of meth injection. Sounds like u will have it figured out. I would say that u will be safe with what your doing. These cars and the stock block are suppose to be good at around 500 to the wheels if im not mistaken and of course the tune has to be good. I remember when I first thought about extra hp NA and I initially wanted to go the Nitrous route but chandler talked me out of it and im glad he did. i enjoy having the power when ever I want with the saleen.

When do u plan on getting this done and how are u gonna spray it. How much is that **** for a bottle now.
Yeah, they're not big fans of it due to possible failure of the meth pump and or other components. I know there are safety features to protect against that sort of thing but it's still there. I chat with them alot over there.. borderline bug the hell out of them rofl

I might try the windshield washer mister but that's about it. It cools the IAT's but only enough to chill it for the next run. Nothing consistent like a true air/water or meth. A dude running meth and a V1 blower @10 psi was running 11.7@119mph last weekend. I was jeaouls rofl

Originally Posted by Simon1
Do you have an air/water intercooler?
nah, just air to air right now. Gonna play around with the V3 until 2013, and go Roush 2300.. yeah, I am in it for the long haul lulz
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
If you have an air/water, you will get a huge benifit from using a larger tank for your intercooler water and a really good HE.

Look at what the guys with all of the TS blowers have done to keep their IATs down.

I use a large tank and ice. My IATs are at ambiant when i fill my tank with ice.

I gain .3-.4 and 4 mph.
Really looking forward to getting the R2300 and larger AFCO XXL dual fan heat exchanger.. now THAT thing is supposed to keep things very cool.

That's a great idea with the ice canister.. I remember reading about that. I wish there was a way to use that with air to air...

Quick Reply: Nitrous worth it?