Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Dyno Numbers =S

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
wait so let me get this straight....

If someone on a bike shot up your car and it was in flames, and you yell NOS!!! and run for cover it wont explode like the fast and furious?
Actually its even been proven that if you shoot up a gas tank with normal anmo it won't explode (now tracers and incendiary can)

now I'd bet if someone shot up your car with tracer rounds and caused the gas tank to burn then the N2O tank would be heated and might go over the pressure limits if the safty valve failed due to heat, and if the fire were hot enough before it poped then it might eb hot enough to split the N from the O and have add to the fire

but if you had tracer rounds then the ATF will be after you as they aren't legal for civilian use.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 PM
JimC

Sounds like another job for the MythBusters!

They already did the gas tank, so now we just need them to repeat the Fast and Furious motorcycle guy shooting up the car!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

in what I said I ment its a compressed gas, and when a compressed gas exceeds the pressure limits of its container the container may bust.

of course there should be a safty valve but what if the heat has already rendered the valve useless
Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
Actually its even been proven that if you shoot up a gas tank with normal anmo it won't explode (now tracers and incendiary can)

now I'd bet if someone shot up your car with tracer rounds and caused the gas tank to burn then the N2O tank would be heated and might go over the pressure limits if the safty valve failed due to heat, and if the fire were hot enough before it poped then it might eb hot enough to split the N from the O and have add to the fire

but if you had tracer rounds then the ATF will be after you as they aren't legal for civilian use.
Tracer rounds are legal, all they do is allow you to see the round at night. I have bought and used them from 2 legitimate firearm stores in my area, and I must say it is neat to see.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Tracer rounds are legal, all they do is allow you to see the round at night. I have bought and used them from 2 legitimate firearm stores in my area, and I must say it is neat to see.
ok I guess I was wrong

we need to worry someone might start using them on gas tanks

(you can see them because of the flame that make)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
If the bottle did get punctured the car would fill up with gas - and other than the irritant that is put in nitrous for car use (so people don't use it in other recreational ways) it would not blow up. Nitrous itself is not even flammable.

(please, not "nos" - that is ricer talk from fast and furious, NOS is a trade name, same as Zex, for a nitrous system. The gas is N2O)

But having gone from nitrous to a supercharger it is a lot easier and more consistent in my experience having the blower. The nitrous was great and a lot of fun, but trying to find a shop in early spring or late fall race season that was still filling bottles was a pain. Plus, every trip to the track meant an extra $35 - $40 to fill the bottle. With the blower, the power is always there ready to be tapped when I need it.
It is spelled NAWZ
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
ok I guess I was wrong

we need to worry someone might start using them on gas tanks

(you can see them because of the flame that make)
You can use these bad boys
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...bhr0jl0ahr3j87
Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by autos221
I think the testing found that tracers worked better than Incendiaries, due to already being on fire before impact
Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

I second that, they sell tracers at my local machine shop/gun store (gotta love Texas..one stop shops!)

Hell, a lot of people don't realize you can legally own silencers...$200 tax stamp and some paperwork!

Anyway, OP...is your car tuned for 93? you'd definetly pick up some more numbers if it isn't
Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02WhiteGTVert
I second that, they sell tracers at my local machine shop/gun store (gotta love Texas..one stop shops!)

Hell, a lot of people don't realize you can legally own silencers...$200 tax stamp and some paperwork!

Anyway, OP...is your car tuned for 93? you'd definetly pick up some more numbers if it isn't
Ya but silencers are regulated by the ATF if I am not mistaken, they are a little harder to get than tracers lol.

Quick Reply: Dyno Numbers =S