Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Shelby GT500
Dusk1 livesleepshift
Default Optima Red Top Battery Fitment

Hey guys, quick Q for all of you. My friend has Optima Red Top batteries in every single one of his cars. Supra, GT, Shelby GT, Maserati you name it.
That being said it fit his 2007 Shelby GT but he has that Billet Tray. Talked to a few people including the shop which installed my cams and Hurst which said it'll fit the stock tray just fine. Also read and was told by someone from AM that a lot of people have fitment issues. The local shop wants over 200 dollars where with rebate and such, I can get it online for 150 ish in the end off AM. So what Im trying to find out is I've read many, its too big, and too small threads and comments its driving me to the wall. I am looking at the Red Top 34/78. Here is a picture of my Engine bay. Notice the stock tray, battery, and unlike some picture with just a strap, I have that foam like box cover on it. So question is will it fit my 2008 Mustang GT? I have seen, "fits like a glove", "slides around" and "is so big I cant hold down/clear hood".
Thanks guys.

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 s197 GT

i have an 08 mustang gt and i put mine right in the stock tray no issues
2008 Alloy Metallic GT SLP Ceramic Long Tube Headers, SLP X-Pipe, Borla Stinger S-Type Catback Exhaust, Steeda Carbon Fiber CAI, FRPP Manifold, Moroso Catch Can, MSD Blasters, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Blue Valve Covers, Front Strut Bar, CDC Rear Decklid Panel Emblem Delete, 3.90 Motive Gears, Carbon Fiber Disks, Steeda Diff Cover, KW V3 Coilovers, Custom 93 Octane SCT Tune
DTMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Dusk1 livesleepshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMR View Post
i have an 08 mustang gt and i put mine right in the stock tray no issues
Do you have that same foam like wrap on it, as I do? Some pictures I saw without that, and some with. Would prefer to keep it if possible.
Also read from places that you need special trickler charges for the Optimas. Others said normal works fine.

Last edited by Shift; 04-10-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang View Post
Do you have that same foam like wrap on it, as I do? Some pictures I saw without that, and some with. Would prefer to keep it if possible.
Also read from places that you need special trickler charges for the Optimas. Others said normal works fine.
i have the tray that it came with stock i just put it right in and everything was fine I did nothing different and nothing special and even if you did have problems which you won't they come with little adapters but if you have the stock tray you'll be fine, and its better because theres no acid that could leak out of it onto your paint
2008 Alloy Metallic GT SLP Ceramic Long Tube Headers, SLP X-Pipe, Borla Stinger S-Type Catback Exhaust, Steeda Carbon Fiber CAI, FRPP Manifold, Moroso Catch Can, MSD Blasters, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Blue Valve Covers, Front Strut Bar, CDC Rear Decklid Panel Emblem Delete, 3.90 Motive Gears, Carbon Fiber Disks, Steeda Diff Cover, KW V3 Coilovers, Custom 93 Octane SCT Tune
Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

and you don't need that foam wrap, I took it out its actually bad because it traps heat on your battery but it did fit on my battery
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

My red top fits fine in the stock tray with the wrap removed.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07, Ford GT

i have fits fine and have the foam cover
Roush M90 SC w/2.49 pulley, KB BAP, Roush CB, Hurst ss, FRPP cams, FRPP 62mm TB, Helo 20" wheels, FRPP 4.10's, BBK headers, Kicker/Shelby 8" subs, Cadence amps, Optima red top, full body kit, STB, JLT oil separators ps/ds, Cross drilled/slotted rotors, aluminum DS, Eibach struts,shocks, FRPP springs, Eibach sway bar kit, BMR panhard bar/brace, BMR LCA's, SS brake/clutch lines, GlowShift gauges, Shelby RSB/trans cooler, JLT brake cooling kit, Exedy stage 1 clutch/Flywheel
lawrencecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
UPRSharad
Sponsor

Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
www.facebook.com/sraldiris

I've seen them in the stock tray, but we also have this mount:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...optima-05.html

Like us at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
SteedaBrandon
Premium Sponsor

Vehicle: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Looks like you've got your answer. But hey, nice intake!
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Dusk1 livesleepshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon View Post
Looks like you've got your answer. But hey, nice intake!
haha thanks! and yeah I guess so. :P

Thanks everybody!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
08, 2005, 2011, battery, batteryford, big, gt, install, mustang, optima, red, s197, size, top, tray