Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Offroad x gains?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Question Offroad x gains?

Will installing an offroad x yield any sort of gain in torque or hp? I've heard 10-15 in both areas, and I've also heard they are just for sound and have no gains. I'm trying to figure out my exhaust setup at the moment, I've decided long tubes are out of the picture for a long while, because I'd need high flow cats as well and the cost isn't worth is. I can switch a midpipe fairly easily, and I figure that they are the next best thing for flow vs long tubes... however if they don't give you and real gains, I'll buy my favorite sounding axle back and be done with it and spend the money elsewhere, like on gears! thanks all, let me know what you think!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

We claim 20hp out of ours:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-o...x-pipe-05.html

I installed that x-pipe on my 3V GT at the same time as my UPR/SCT CAI/Tuner combo. It was a very noticeable difference in power. I definitely recommend it!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't believe it, certainly not to the wheels and with no other supporting mods and tunes. Single digit gain, IMO.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Look at this thread for exhaust gains: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...o-results.html

20rwhp gain certainly is not feasible with an O/R x-pipe alone. I don't even believe 20rwhp non-peak will happen. At best you might be getting 20 horsepower increase, non-peak, at the flywheel, and on a dynojet with no correction... I don't know but you're not getting 20rwhp SAE from an O/R X alone.

You will pick up some power and you may notice a difference, but it will begin in the mid-range and build in the higher RPM's (where there is more exhaust flowing). The X-pipe especially without cats, will sound a little more raspy.

Upgrading exhaust is not an end point, it's a platform for future upgrades.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I don't believe it, certainly not to the wheels and with no other supporting mods and tunes. Single digit gain, IMO.
That's what I figured honestly, seems the headers are still a big restriction point with stock manifolds and an offroad pipe

Originally Posted by JCON
Look at this thread for exhaust gains: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...o-results.html

20rwhp gain certainly is not feasible with an O/R x-pipe alone. I don't even believe 20rwhp non-peak will happen. At best you might be getting 20 horsepower increase, non-peak, at the flywheel, and on a dynojet with no correction... I don't know but you're not getting 20rwhp SAE from an O/R X alone.

You will pick up some power and you may notice a difference, but it will begin in the mid-range and build in the higher RPM's (where there is more exhaust flowing). The X-pipe especially without cats, will sound a little more raspy.

Upgrading exhaust is not an end point, it's a platform for future upgrades.
yeah that's sorta what I figured... Think I'll spend my money elsewhere until I am ready to do longtubes so I don't need to buy 2 midpipes, plus highflow cats (to pass emissions)

On another note, I put my Jeep up for sale today, as soon as that bad boy sells I can stop talking about modding and start blowing money on parts!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 AM
Tbones80

Agreed with almost no gains. Still has to pass through the stock manifolds first. If you want a diff sound change mufflers til you get longtubes.