Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

GT Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Jay Man

Originally Posted by 99horsey
Does it do it all the time, or just when cold? There is a TSB for a rattle that occurs about there when cold (mine does it). That's caused by some plate between the tranny and engine as I recall. If it does it when the engine is warm, that it's a different issue... If you think it's the exhaust the first thing I would do is get under the car and see if anything seems loose at all with the exhaust. Could be something as simple as a loose clamp bolt, etc.
This is exactly what it is. It happens the loudest when I leave for work in the morning and when I am shifting between 1st -3rd. It also happens in the afternoon when I leave work heading home but it is not as bad it just sounds loud because I park in a garage and it often will set off car alarms because of the echo. Anyway I have noticed it only does it if the car sits for a hours and me not running it.

BTW what is TSB? Is there anyway to fix this? Is something loose? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the reply!!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay Man
This is exactly what it is. It happens the loudest when I leave for work in the morning and when I am shifting between 1st -3rd. It also happens in the afternoon when I leave work heading home but it is not as bad it just sounds loud because I park in a garage and it often will set off car alarms because of the echo. Anyway I have noticed it only does it if the car sits for a hours and me not running it.

BTW what is TSB? Is there anyway to fix this? Is something loose? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the reply!!
TSB = technical service bulletin. Here's the one likely for your problem:

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...-4-5-2009.html

There is a way to fix it per the TSB, but it would be more expensive than I'm willing to pay. I don't think not fixing it would be any reason for concern. I actually use it as a warning - when the engine is cold, you should be staying off the gas, so if I hear it rattle I know my right foot is too heavy for a cold engine. I actually kind of like it for this reason... I have no intent to fix it.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Jay Man

TSB = technical service bulletin. Here's the one likely for your problem:

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...-4-5-2009.html

There is a way to fix it per the TSB, but it would be more expensive than I'm willing to pay. I don't think not fixing it would be any reason for concern. I actually use it as a warning - when the engine is cold, you should be staying off the gas, so if I hear it rattle I know my right foot is too heavy for a cold engine. I actually kind of like it for this reason... I have no intent to fix it.
Yeah I looked up TSB after I posted. Google is my friend !! I am guessing this is not one of those recalls that has to be fixed? Speaking of which are there any dire recalls that have to be fixed? I read through several of those TSB's but did not see where any were a must have fix. I asked the guy I got the car from but he could not remember. Just was wondering.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:39 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay Man
Yeah I looked up TSB after I posted. Google is my friend !! I am guessing this is not one of those recalls that has to be fixed? Speaking of which are there any dire recalls that have to be fixed? I read through several of those TSB's but did not see where any were a must have fix. I asked the guy I got the car from but he could not remember. Just was wondering.
I'm not aware of any issues Ford has actually issued a recall for. As far as I know, best case for any of the TSBs for 2006 is a fix under warranty. The one exception is the spark plug issue since Ford doesn't require/recommend replacement until 100,000 miles (and therefore outside the warranty). So long story short, if you experience any issues there is a TSB for, you're on your own for the fix.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Jay Man

I'm not aware of any issues Ford has actually issued a recall for. As far as I know, best case for any of the TSBs for 2006 is a fix under warranty. The one exception is the spark plug issue since Ford doesn't require/recommend replacement until 100,000 miles (and therefore outside the warranty). So long story short, if you experience any issues there is a TSB for, you're on your own for the fix.
Okay thanks for the info. I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

TSB's are not recalls and the manufacturer and dealer have no requirement to repair it on their dime after the factory warranty expires, although once in a blue moon you'll find a dealer that'll cover it out-of-warranty for the sake of pleasing a customer (imagine that).

If you plan to go FI for the biggest power gain, then expect to pay in the range of $4k - $7k including the blower, suspension and other supporting mods. If not, then the CAI & custom tune along with cams and LT headers are your 2 biggest combo mods for the bulk of power gains. After that, it's mostly nickle and dime gains.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Jay Man

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking at a few CAI and tune combo. However I have been reading on other upgrades/addons and I am wondering, how hard would it be to turn my GT in to a Roush? Would it be worth it? What are the cost differences?