Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Stock 06 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Patrick533

Default Stock 06 4.6L

Greetings!

1st time writer long time reader!

I was getting on the freeway last week and my check engine light came on and started flashing.

It threw a P0302 code, knowing the flashing was not good I milked it home and the flashing stopped. It had a very clear rough idle and it was not my GT. Having a lot of OLDER engine experience, I looked at what would be the easiest to fix. I replaced the plug/coil and it still was throwing the same code. I replaced the injector next, a little better, but within 2 days it threw the PO302 code again. I cleaned my MAF and throttle body with the appropriate solvents. Still no joy!

Off to the dealer is goes because of the dealer purchased extended warranty. I'm figuring valve train related, at worst. The dealer removes the valve cover and says it is PERFECT at 80000 miles, no problems at all.

Now they are saying it may be a cracked head, or?

Specifics:

Nothing in the coolant or oil.

Cylinder 2 60PSI, Cylinder 3 140PSI compression.

Smoke test shows smoke going into the #3 cylinder.

Coolant Hydrocarbon test is negative.

When I asked the dealer why the pressures were so far off between the 2 cylinders I was told that is why they think it is a cracked head or block. A crack with a anti back flow valve?

I'm 50, a small block 327 was one of my favorites until I drove this girl, I'm in love. Driven faster, but not as a daily driver.

When I asked the dealer what they recommended, they said I should button it up and trade it in to some unsuspecting dealer. I have put a lot of work into this car. It is clean but really nothing special otherwise.

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Patrick
Old 10-05-2013, 05:10 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I've got a stock long block out of an 08 for sale, sitting in a shop in downey.

The compression test says a lot, no way should it only be at 60PSI. Any way you look at it, it's a lot of labor. If you have no attachment, then trading in may be the best deal. You've already tried the inexpensive options and have the compression test results.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Everytime I've heard a P0302 Code on here it's a bad alternator. Did it to me at a 120 on the highway and scared the $#!T out of me. At the time I didn't have a code reader and Autozone read it for me. Said it was camshaft position sensor code. And he proceeded to tell me that engine shouldn't be running.

I was already confirming my alt suspicions at the time so this didn't concern me. Replaced alt, not problems until I wrecked it. Just replaced the alt on my current 06 and it just did the check charging system this time. I have no idea what causes it to trip the other sensor, I just know it did.

Check the alternator or just replace it. Worth a shot.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Patrick533

Originally Posted by danzcool
I wish I had the time and money for a long block. The dealer still has it and they are going to try and work with the insurance company.

The problem is they can't diagnose it properly. I spoke with the shop manager, he said he will take a look Monday at the car. I asked the tech, if it has a blown head gasket between 2 and 3, why aren't the compression readings similar. A stuck valve or a broken valve spring could easily drop compression but when I asked about the valve springs, he started talking about the lifters

Not real happy with this dealer/service department right now. Can't diagnose a top end problem in 3 days?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Obviously not a smart service dept. Top end bottom end who cares, believe me tech would rather swap out long block. With 60psi in cylinder two, what I do is give warranty approval tech line the psi reading valve cover is off, use piston rings as PFP and take some pics that make it look like valvetrain damge when you submit. Boom, long block approved.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Patrick533

Tried to PM you and see what you wanted for the long block and the specs of the engine but I can't PM you, not enough posts yet maybe.

I'm about 40 miles east of you.....

Just looking at options at this time before I tell them to button it up and end up driving something I really would rather not be driving. The thing had to wait till the day before I was laid off from my job to pull this.......

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:27 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Patrick533
Tried to PM you and see what you wanted for the long block and the specs of the engine but I can't PM you, not enough posts yet maybe.

I'm about 40 miles east of you.....

Just looking at options at this time before I tell them to button it up and end up driving something I really would rather not be driving. The thing had to wait till the day before I was laid off from my job to pull this.......

Thank you in advance!
It's posted in this thread here...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...longblock.html
Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Patrick533

I can buy that cheaper then a head gasket! Let me see if I can get a price on an install. I blew my back 10 years ago, otherwise I would do it myself.

Of course I need mom's approval too. We had just talked about trading MY pony in on a Expedition. They are dirt cheap right now and I miss being able to go off-road.

Thanks for the quick response.

Still just wish this dealer would just honor their warranty and fix mine.......
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The labor is going to cost more than the motor. The shop it's at can do install, but you may be able to find a better price on that.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Patrick533
When I asked the dealer what they recommended, they said I should button it up and trade it in to some unsuspecting dealer.
Sounds like some nice reputable guys you're dealing with there.

Quick Reply: Stock 06 4.6L