Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Default AC/Cooling Fan Issues?

When you turn your AC on, the cooling fan should come on in the engine compartment. Mine does...but only runs for a while, then turns off, then comes back on, then off. It continues this cycle. Isn't it supposed to run ALL the time?

The reason I ask, is we hooked up some gauges to the AC system and went to add freon. When the fan came on, it blows colder air and the pressure on the gauges is in acceptable levels. When the fan cycles off, the air coming out of the vents warms up noticeably and the pressure on the gauges goes up considerably.

With the AC off, the fan came on when it got up to operating temperature and ran for a bit, then turned off and the vehicle isn't overheating.

Trying to figure out if this is normal....
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Legend Lime and 1967 CP

Sounds "normal" as long as the car isn't running hot. The (extra) gauges you hooked up may be reading more accurate than the car technically needs. The fan should come on when the car is at temp and the AC on. When cruising maybe off and on, and when at a stop or stop and go city traffic stay on. That's been normal for me for 5 plus years. However I have a Brenspeed tune that runs the fan constantly when the engine is warm.
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT

Car isn't overheating at all. I was just under the impression that the fan should be on at ALL times when the AC is on. Your fan doesn't run constantly when the AC is on either than drewsky?
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Legend Lime and 1967 CP

It does now with the Brenspeed tune. It's on high speed constantly when it reaches full temp. If I recall correctly, prior to the tune it would kick on and off low speed/high speed. It's also hard to tell if it shuts off when on the freeway. Just cause you can't really hear it. As long as there is no issues with the AC and overheating I wouldn't stress it at all.
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement