Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Creaking noise when turning steering wheel at low speeds???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Default Creaking noise when turning steering wheel at low speeds???

My 08 with 64K miles has recently developed a sound that I can hear only when turning the steering wheel in a parking lot at a standstill or a very low speeds (backing in/out of a parking spot).

I've searched around and found this video that perfectly matches the noise.

Anyone ever seen/heard of this. The first thing I suspect is the power steering pump (though the fluid is at a normal level) or maybe the end links on the front end?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

That definitely sounds like power steering pump whine, reminds me of how a lot of the older Fords sounded when you made tight turns in a parking lot.

I've heard creaking from ball joints and other front end components but it literally sounds like creaking, not the noise in the video.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
That definitely sounds like power steering pump whine, reminds me of how a lot of the older Fords sounded when you made tight turns in a parking lot.

I've heard creaking from ball joints and other front end components but it literally sounds like creaking, not the noise in the video.
Could this also attributed to the slightly audible "whirring" noise I hear at idle now once the car is warm? Can't really isolate the sound under the hood and all belts, alternator, appear to be fine but from inside the cabin, I hear the noise faintly over my already loud exhaust. Sounds like a have a blower under the hood

Since the PS fluid has always been in the operational range, is it worth trying to change it or am I more or less looking at a PS pump replacement?
Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Honestly, I don't know. Older Fords just had noisy steering pumps and it didn't necessarily point to a problem. Newer ones I'm not sure. On my old '90 Mustang it made a noise like that once when it had a leak and the fluid got really low, but after I filled it up it was fine.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:00 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
Could this also attributed to the slightly audible "whirring" noise I hear at idle now once the car is warm? Can't really isolate the sound under the hood and all belts, alternator, appear to be fine but from inside the cabin, I hear the noise faintly over my already loud exhaust. Sounds like a have a blower under the hood

Since the PS fluid has always been in the operational range, is it worth trying to change it or am I more or less looking at a PS pump replacement?
Pump replacement.

Changing fluid wont change anything. It would be just like changing engine oil to try to fix a rod knock.

Hearing it at low speed, or standstill is when the greatest strain is placed upon the pump to do its job. It will eventually get worse.

Open up the lid and stick your finger in the fluid. Shine a light on your finger and look for metal flakes. Bad sign.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:40 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the PS pump.