Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4 Cylinder NA and Turbo
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Janelle Rantz

Default 83 2.3 turbo cant boost

i just recently got a 83 gt turbo and except for first and second gear if i try to accelerate and turbo kicks in it starts bogging down then will backfire if you try to stay in it. What could this be

I have tried
Ignition Timing
Remove Knock Sensor
New Vacuum Lines Removed original Cat Converter
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Janelle Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
neo8222
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang V6

so in 1st and 2nd gear you have correct boost and everything works but in 3rd 4th and 5th you have no boost?
2000 Mustang - RIP
2001 Mustang GT - RIP

Current Car: 2002 Subaru WRX - STI Swapped

neo8222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Janelle Rantz

Yes well the problem happens more so around 2 to3k revs well accelerating slowly into boost it seems to overload and then backfire unless you let off
Janelle Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
None2Slow

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT

Have you checked your fuel presure? Mine would do this when I had a leak in the fuel line at the pump inside the tank. As fuel demand starts to increase, the pump couldnt get enough fuel to the fuel rail and would start popping and missing. Put a fuel presure gauge on it and was fine at idle. As soon as you turn the key off, presure went to zero. Pinched the return line and still went to zero. Thought maybe a weak or bad pump. Dropped the tank and removed the pump and found the cracked hose. So umm yeah, check fuel presure
None2Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
23, 23l, 83, bogs, boost, coupe, forums, gt, lines, mustang, past, sale, turbo, vacuum