5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

"Driving hard" and "normal use"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: "Driving hard" and "normal use"

ORIGINAL: 94Cobrakid16

i shift at 2500 with driving normal. and i rarly go up to 5k. usualy 4 is the highest i go. cause i cant afford gas.
I heard that. Gas sucks right now--the prices and the quality, I suspect.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:57 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

Oh yeah...My point: So "normal use" for a sportscar isn't...well...driving it like a sportscar?
not if you want to keep it
Duly noted. I ask because, until recently, I was immersed in the world of vintage sportbikes. The good ones you could ride hard all day for years, get tired of it, and sell it to someone else who rides it hard all day for years. Don't get me wrong, I've seen them break; but it's usually under abuse rather than simple hard use. At any rate, thanks for the reply Tengram.
the 5.0 is similar than, to how you describe these vintage sportbikes. definitely enjoy the stang and whip on it regularly. i think the point i was trying to make is that, if your daily drive (to work for example) involves driving crazy, it is likely that you will wreck it or get your license taken away, or worse. even a minor wreck can crack the frame on these weak unibodies rendering them totalled. FWIW i drove my 85 fast, hard everywhere i went and now my buddy owns it. its still on the same motor (175k) and it is still running great. i did wreck it a couple of times and technically it is totalled, though officially it is registered and legal.(dont tell the TX-DOT)
Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah...My point: So "normal use" for a sportscar isn't...well...driving it like a sportscar?
not if you want to keep it
Duly noted. I ask because, until recently, I was immersed in the world of vintage sportbikes. The good ones you could ride hard all day for years, get tired of it, and sell it to someone else who rides it hard all day for years. Don't get me wrong, I've seen them break; but it's usually under abuse rather than simple hard use. At any rate, thanks for the reply Tengram.
the 5.0 is similar than, to how you describe these vintage sportbikes. definitely enjoy the stang and whip on it regularly. i think the point i was trying to make is that, if your daily drive (to work for example) involves driving crazy, it is likely that you will wreck it or get your license taken away, or worse. even a minor wreck can crack the frame on these weak unibodies rendering them totalled. FWIW i drove my 85 fast, hard everywhere i went and now my buddy owns it. its still on the same motor (175k) and it is still running great. i did wreck it a couple of times and technically it is totalled, dont tell the TX-DOT
I like that anwser better. Yeah, I guess use, not abuse, is the ticket. For the most part I am gentle on the gas, shifting at 2500-3000. Nearly always, I am gentle on the tranny--rarely bang-shifting or anything. Sometimes, I like to mash the gas, take it to 4500 in first and/or second, but granny shifting the whole time. Rarely, I'll blast throught first with the tires spinning, slam second and spin through second, bang third, then look for the cops. Then I'll back off and feel guilty like a mug. I rarely go above 5k rpms though--except right after a Seafoam treatment. I guess I'm not abusing the thing--at least not often. At any rate, thanks for the dialogue Tengram.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

pretty much exactly how i drive twisted
Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

driving nice, I shift at 3500
driving hard, I shift at around 6100, when changing gears, only let off the gas a little.

mabye thats why I have oilpressure issues.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM
ErikSTANG
2nd Gear Member

i'm as aggressive of a drive as they come i guess. I enjoy my "normal use" crusing at like 2.5k rpm and shifting at like 3k to 3.5k(3.73 gears so it comes up quick). I don't see it as abuse, i shift slow and easily between gears. rarely do i burn through first into second etc because i understand my trans has 140k miles on it and 140k miles+5k Rpms=walking my butt home!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

my stock trans has 250,000+kms on it and I beat it with 390hp nitrous blasts with slicks.
it starts to whine reall loud after around 10 passes down the dragstrip.