5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Might be adding a nice pony to the stable.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:18 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default Might be adding a nice pony to the stable.........

Quick rundown. I sold my 88 GT about two weeks ago to a local guy. The thing just had too many issues for me to deal with.

Ok, thanks to someone on the local racing board, they put me in touch with a guy with an 87 GT. This is what I know about it from our phone conversation:

It has a 351 bored .040 over (carbed engine. no efi)
Honestly, I cant remember what all he said was done to it. But he said it has ran low 8's in the 1/8. Car is N/A.

5 speed with tranny in good condition. Said all shifter bushings had just been reworked so it was like new.

4.11 gears.

He said the car needed a few things to be nice again. But the body was solid and straight as an arrow.

Needs the following:

Paint
Lights hooked back up
Door handles. (Said they are on a popper but the holes werent filled)
Exhaust apparently is mostly missing and is loud as hell.

That is all I can think of for now. Said it doesnt burn oil or leak anywhere.

$2200.

Would you guys buy it and what should I look for? None of my Stangs had modded engines in them, so I dunno honestly what I need to be asking or looking for. The guy seems like a cool guy and all, but I just wanna make sure I know what I'm getting.

I will see and drive it tomorrow. Quite a few people have vouched for the car saying it is exactly what he says it is. Would you pay $2200 for a car like that? All the guys said they know he has over $2,500 just in the engine. His wife made him choose between his hunting and his car. And he chose hunting. So he said he just needs it gone.

Opinions?
[/align]
Old 03-03-2007, 12:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Might be adding a nice pony to the stable.........

cars with shaved door handles cant be run on dragstrips
Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

They arent shaved. The handles are missing, but the holes are there.Nothing was everfilled. He said he had a bad run of luck for a while with kids stealing the radio out of it, so he just took the handles off and installed poppers. But he said they can be put back on.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:39 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Shaved door handles mean less resistance which = 25 more h.p. roughly

But in all seriousness, it just sounds like someone's unfinished project car. I'd look it all over with a fine tooth comb, possibly get under it and see what's done to the suspension (make sure you check the torque boxes), ask him for receipts, make sure that it drives fine. Are theconnections just not plugged into the back of the headlights? Also if it has 4.11's likeyou said he's got a 9 inch rear end in it, to my knowledge there are no 4.11's made for the 8.8 unless he goofed and meant 4.10s.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 AM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

would'nt that mean therain was just pouring into the holes? you might wanna check the bottom of the door
Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

The car is garaged unless he took it out to drive it. So there's supposed to be no rust at all. But I'm still gonna check since my last car wound up being riddled with rust. Yea he said the headlights were unplugged. It is a project car, but sounds like a good solid foundation to start. I'll be checking the torque boxes, the seat mounts, and the seals around the gas tank. As well as anything else I think of. And I figured 4.10s as well, but he swears they are 4.11s. I'll check it tomorrow though.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

if i remove the stock antenna at the strip how much hp is that worth?
ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Shaved door handles mean less resistance which = 25 more h.p. roughly

But in all seriousness, it just sounds like someone's unfinished project car. I'd look it all over with a fine tooth comb, possibly get under it and see what's done to the suspension (make sure you check the torque boxes), ask him for receipts, make sure that it drives fine. Are theconnections just not plugged into the back of the headlights? Also if it has 4.11's likeyou said he's got a 9 inch rear end in it, to my knowledge there are no 4.11's made for the 8.8 unless he goofed and meant 4.10s.