5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

taking the oil pan off....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:28 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default taking the oil pan off....

just like it sounds... i gotta take the oil pan off.... one of hte lifted feel down.... yea dumb mistake i know... trust me ive kicked myself enough already.... i drained the oil.... and im goin a h/c/i so everyhing is of the engine... its still in the can tho... i was hopeing i wouldnt need to pull the engine for this... do i just pop the bolts off the bottom all the way around??? it seems to simple i wanted to make sure i kne what was goin on b4 i did it.... is there more to it than just takeing the bolts out??... any info no takin off the oil pan would be rite.... take note it is a sn95 not a fox... i dunno if that will matter or not.... and i have the stock k member
Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default RE: taking the oil pan off....

I told you to take the lifters out before the cam There are two ways to do this. Really, with your block all torn down already it's easier to just yank the engine. The other way that might work is this: Unbolt the mounts and jack the engine up as high as you can get it. Drop the oilpan onto the crossmember, and you might have enough room to fit a wrench in and undo the three bolts that hold the oil pump in. Let the pump drop into the pan, and you'll be able to get it off. Have fun getting it back on like that though...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:35 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

It looks almost as if you can drop the pan down a few inches without raising the motor or lowering the K-member. Mine is going to need a pan gasket soon also and I'm trying to explore my options.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:50 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

when lifters fall down the fall into the oil pan rite??? i only need a few inchs to get my hand in there rite??? why do i have to disconnect hte oil pump... i was hoping i could just unbolt it and let the pan fall on the k memeber than reach in the pan and get hte lifter then drop a new gasket on it and up it bak in place.... or will it not work that way

Edit: typos

Old 03-25-2007, 04:43 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

you'd have to disconnect the oil pump to take the pan off.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:48 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

you'd have to disconnect the oil pump to take the pan off.

why do i have to disconnect it?? im not goin to take it all the way off.... its just goin to sit mayb 3 inchs lower.... just enough to get my hand in it....

is it really nessecary to disconnect the oil pump... if do so how is that done
Old 03-25-2007, 07:01 PM
LIL D
2nd Gear Member

if the lifter fell all the way into the pan try and use one of those magnetic tools the antenna with the magnet on the end
Old 03-25-2007, 07:11 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

+1 LIL D, if you can get it with a magnetic tool, it may NOT be all the way at the bottom - it could be sitting on top of the crank/rods or wedge in some funky position. really, since your thet deep into it why not pull the whole motor (easy enough) and then you can wash it down real good, change any freeze plugs that may have rot on em, and give the whole assembled thing a proper paint job.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

+1 LIL D, if you can get it with a magnetic tool, it may NOT be all the way at the bottom - it could be sitting on top of the crank/rods or wedge in some funky position. really, since your thet deep into it why not pull the whole motor (easy enough) and then you can wash it down real good, change any freeze plugs that may have rot on em, and give the whole assembled thing a proper paint job.
pretty sure it fell all the way... here it his something that sounded a lot like an oil pan

and as for pulling it... thats kinda why i figure i outta pull it... im having so many problems... cuz its my first time that i figure just get it out clean it up and give it a good paint job

im looking into gettin engine lift and stand... 200 for both sound good??? thats hwat a store in town was adverting in a ad