5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ongoing issues, car keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Cobra77
1st Gear Member

Default Ongoing issues, car keeps dying

Hello again, still having ongoing issues. First off, it's an 87GT/5.0, now the problem.

From a cold start in the morning or whenever, it drives fine. After driving around for 20 miles, or 35 minutes, whichever you prefer pretty much, the car starts to putter for about 3-4 seconds, then dies dead in the water. After sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes (5-10) you can start it back up perfectly normal, drive 1-2 maybe 3 miles and the exact same problem. The longer you wait, the longer it'll run before it stalls pretty much. If you let it sit overnight again and try it the next day, it'll run for another 30-40 minutes, then do it all over again.

So far have replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, the Fuel Filter, and the Ignition Control Module..was really hoping it was the last one. When it dies, and you hit the key, you can hear the fuel pump plain as day, it seems to be working fine. It also seems to be getting spark after it dies, atleast it is from the coil anyhow.

I plugged the scanner into it and received codes 34, and 82. First one being the Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid, and the second being the EGR Position Solenoid I believe it said. I'm not really sure how the TAB works either. Would either of them have any relation to the problem? Or does anyone have any other ideas, it's up in the air at this point haha.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Ongoing issues, car keeps dying

those two CEL codes would not cause the car to die. Check to see if your coil is putting out a good spark... just beause it sparks, doesnt mean its a strong spark

*edit* when you installed the ICM did you use thermal grease on the back of it? And I dont mean that clear crap they come with.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Cobra77
1st Gear Member

Well I guess I have a few more things to check around in the meantime. I've been trying to read as many posts as I can here though, and a lot of other similar problems like this people are pointing to fuel pump problems. I've gotta check the fuel pressure, just got a gauge. Where exactly is the fuel pressure test port on this thing?, I must just be over looking it
Old 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cobra77

Well I guess I have a few more things to check around in the meantime. I've been trying to read as many posts as I can here though, and a lot of other similar problems like this people are pointing to fuel pump problems. I've gotta check the fuel pressure, just got a gauge. Where exactly is the fuel pressure test port on this thing?, I must just be over looking it
passenger side , witha cap on it similiar to the one on your tire valve
Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cobra77

Hello again, still having ongoing issues. First off, it's an 87GT/5.0, now the problem.

From a cold start in the morning or whenever, it drives fine. After driving around for 20 miles, or 35 minutes, whichever you prefer pretty much, the car starts to putter for about 3-4 seconds, then dies dead in the water. After sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes (5-10) you can start it back up perfectly normal, drive 1-2 maybe 3 miles and the exact same problem. The longer you wait, the longer it'll run before it stalls pretty much. If you let it sit overnight again and try it the next day, it'll run for another 30-40 minutes, then do it all over again.

So far have replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, the Fuel Filter, and the Ignition Control Module..was really hoping it was the last one. When it dies, and you hit the key, you can hear the fuel pump plain as day, it seems to be working fine. It also seems to be getting spark after it dies, atleast it is from the coil anyhow.

I plugged the scanner into it and received codes 34, and 82. First one being the Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid, and the second being the EGR Position Solenoid I believe it said. I'm not really sure how the TAB works either. Would either of them have any relation to the problem? Or does anyone have any other ideas, it's up in the air at this point haha.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.
that scares me
Old 07-14-2007, 04:21 PM
jasoon1

check your dist. pick up(PIP) to see if it is loose or rubbing the stator
Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Cobra77
1st Gear Member

Hi guys. This time around I replaced the fuel pump relay, and we took it for a spin. It didn't solve it either, but as soon as it died we checked the spark, there was spark at the coil, and spark at the wires going to the plugs, everything was fine on that front.

We got it home and checked the fuel pressure. At idle with the vacuum off it was 40-41 PSI, vacuum on 32 steady. We let it run and watched it, and about 6-7 seconds before it died the fuel pressure started dropping sharply, then it quit.That pretty much makes me believe it has to be the fuel pump at this point, correct? When you hit the key you can hear it prime, but I believe it just doesnt pump till it cools down, or something to that effect anyways.

Thanks guys.