5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HCI Finished - Car doesn't want to idle stalling out*Updated Pg2*

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HCI Finished - Car doesn't want to idle stalling out

If you're unsure, then check out this article (complete with pictures.) it should give you a good idea. If it didn't like up properly when you went to reinstall it, then that could be the problem. of course, as others have stated, check the usual suspets like MAF, IAC, vac lines. But I'm still leaning towards being off a tooth.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I can't get the dizzy to line up with the block perfectly. I can if the pointer is not lined up with my mark... So maybe that is the problem...
Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Anybody?

I am trying to set the timing and have the crank to 0 degrees... I can't get the distributer pointer to line up with my sharpie line for spark plug #1 without going off clearcut line on the distributer body and the line cut on the block... It is like an inch off...

*HELP ME*!
Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

this is not hard as it sounds.

Pull the dizzy out, turn the crankshaft counter clockwise(left) to the number ten, keep pulling the dizzy up and out, until you can get it flush with the block.

Since the dizzy is not tightened dow, you can move it to align with number 1 spark plug wire on cap.

If its that hard, re arrange the wires so you are there
Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

this is not hard as it sounds.

Pull the dizzy out, turn the crankshaft to the number ten PAST ZERO, keep pulling the dizzy up and out, until you can get it flush with the block.

Since the dizzy is not tightened down, you can move it to align with number 1 spark plug wire on cap.

If its that hard, re arrange the wires so you are there
Old 07-14-2007, 01:08 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

If it is one tooth off, you wont be able to get it right...pull the dizzy and re stick it so the rotor is over in the direction opposite it is off. Or just disregard you marks and time it with a light.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:14 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Aren't I supposed to set the crank to 0 degrees not -10?

I will try 10 but when i'm doing it at 0 I can't get the teeth to line up properly... trust me i've tried...

When you say the 10 past the zero are you talking about the one to the left or right?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

Aren't I supposed to set the crank to 0 degrees not -10?

I will try 10 but when i'm doing it at 0 I can't get the teeth to line up properly... trust me i've tried...
dont give up,

putting it at 10 degrees before TDC will net you 10 degreees timing. After HCI I had a hell of a time getting my car to start at 0 degrees.

10 yeah set it there. The aligment issue, make sure the distributor is aligned WITH YOUR OIL PUMP SHAFT and remember this spins your oil pump
Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

WOAH STOP GUYS.

We just spoke in chat.

The confusion here, is that the dizzy has been removed from the motor for an HCI swap.

The original machinist scribes in the dizzy housing area are what he is referring to for alignment.

This is deceptive to the eye and should never be used when you have removed the dizzy from the block.

This was his pointer.

And starting the car up at zero degrees, basiclly igniting fuel while the piston is all the way up, the motor may not run for long and just die.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

My only thing that makes me disagree though is how come it idled good all last night for a minute and then again this morning and again this morning? I moved the car about 10 ft shut it off... Went to turn it on and then it wanted me to give it gas.
If it ran fine and idled fine last night I wouldn't think you've got your distributor in wrong then.
Just a thought and nothing else but when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Quick Reply: HCI Finished - Car doesn't want to idle stalling out*Updated Pg2*