5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HCI Finished - Car doesn't want to idle stalling out*Updated Pg2*

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HCI Finished - Car doesn't want to idle stalling out

is your dizzy tight?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:11 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

that sounded dirty
Old 07-14-2007, 04:20 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Old 07-14-2007, 05:53 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

As long as we're asking all these question........ I thought I'd ask (and believe me I'm not trying trying to be a dick here) but did you double check to make sure thatthe dot cam sprocket lined up with the dot on the crankshaft sprocket after you installed the timing chain.
Again since you said it ran fine I'd bet you dbl check, but just thought I'd ask?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:49 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ALMOST STOCK

As long as we're asking all these question........ I thought I'd ask (and believe me I'm not trying trying to be a dick here) but did you double check to make sure thatthe dot cam sprocket lined up with the dot on the crankshaft sprocket after you installed the timing chain.
Again since you said it ran fine I'd bet you dbl check, but just thought I'd ask?
Yep, I made sure it was lined up... I would double check but i'm not planning to tear apart the car again.

Here's the update! I put my timing to 16 degrees now and started the car up and it was fine. Timing is dead on now... I drive it down the street and the car is smoking from the passenger side of the car. It's not bad but smells like burning.

Now my o2 sensor is touching my starter and it barely wanted to go into the whole in the midpipe. So when I was driving down the road when it was smoking I did a U turn and when I put the car in reverse, it just shut off... Now the car won't start again.... I wait a little bit and start it and walah it starts again and idles fine. I drive it home... Now i'm not sure why it just shut off like before, but I think the smoke is coming from the o2 sensor touching the starter...

Not sure what to do!

-Jeff
Old 07-15-2007, 08:52 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Guys theres no such this as being one tooth off with our efi cars since you can clock the distributer to get timing back to perfect. Sounds like your just not getting timing close. If you need to know how to drop the distributer in correctly Adder has a tech article on how to do it at the top of the 5.0 section.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

you can be one tooth off if you marked everything up and are being **** and can't get it back exctly where it was before....like I said before he just needed a light to time it back in.

As far as the running problem, how much run time do you have on it? I won't run perfect as the ECM learns your new set up. Try and reset the ECM then start it and let it idle for about 30 minuets till it get warm so it has a little time to learn. You will need a couple hours of run time.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

One tooth off

The "stock" angle of the TFI is where it points at the driver's side headlight. This sets the proper position for the distributor base. Then put #1 piston at TDC and re stab the distributor to align the distributor rotor with the #1 distributor cap terminal. If you are on either side of the #1 terminal (see illustration below) you are likely "one tooth off". This can be corrected by either moving the distributor base to correct timing (moves the angle of the TFI) or re stabbing the distributor rotor. The "one tooth off" thing relates to the factory position for the distributor base (TFI angle).

Old 07-15-2007, 09:19 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

but you can turn the body where ever you want...problem solved.

EDIT- but yes, you can technically be off one tooth.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

but you can turn the body where ever you want...problem solved.

EDIT- but yes, you can technically be off one tooth.
depending on how far you have to go you might run out of wire. However on my car i tried turning it as far as i had to to get it right and it just stalled, once i advanced the rotor a tooth it fired right up and i was able to set the timing without it stalling.

Quick Reply: HCI Finished - Car doesn't want to idle stalling out*Updated Pg2*