5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD Rebuild Ripoff? UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD Rebuild Ripoff?

They already did it and i got the Stang back.

Im a bit ticked now as i just checked a few things like fluid level and crawled under the Stang as much as i could (didnt jack it up).

There is about 1" of the trans dipstick missing so ill never know how low it gets when it does get too low (the hatches are still there but thats not the point. The oil pan gasket was NEVER touched (but its on the invoice) and i know this because of the grime around it, its old dirt ontop the gasket and the bolts you can clearly see where never touched with a socket. The gasket itself is not that new rubber look, its aged, brown and dirty with like i said, old dirt on the gasket, not recent. Between the timing cover and pan is grime that wouldnt be there if the pan was replaced. I wonder if the main seal was even done. Theres too much fluid under the car but to me looks like they just didnt wipe it down when done, they said they did. The shop isnt open weekends so im out of luck if i took it back. They screwed up enough. How do i know the dipstick is broken off in the trans pan? BTW, the stick doesnt want to go in the whole way unless you mess with it for a minute. Also, on the same side as the trtans fill tube his wet EVERYWHERE. They obviously didnt use a funnel. Like i said before the exhaust is very low which i noticed is leaking now. And it still feels like it doesnt want to shift into 2nd. I forgot to check the mph when it shifts but i know its higher than it should be.

They are getting a phone call and if nothing good comes of it, its off to the BBB which i looked online and they arent even a member but i saw a blue BBB sticker on the door. Maybe the site was outdated? Can i still go to the BBB if they arent a member? Im seriously considering small claims.

My mom isant happy either, she chipped in with the bill. Now way am i letting this go.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Found another boo-boo. I think its the exhaust hanger bolts, ill have to check once its light again. One of them isnt in the whole way but its not loose. Its is noticeably crooked tho so my guess is they stripped it and didnt go any further. The entire hanger and trans mount are coated in a light film of trans fluid. So far the only good job they did was replacing my starter.

Seriously guys, how much of a PITA can i give this shop? What would you all do? Id love a full refund on parts and labor for the pan gasket that was never done and for all i know the main seal wasnt done either, they should buy me a new dipstick, and as for the crooked bolt i dont know. Consider they rehung the exhaust like they just didnt care to. BBB? Small claims?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 AM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

small claims is probably the only way to go. otherwise you might end up spending more time and money on the problem. that really sucks for you. if you can prove that they charged you for a job they didn't do then maybe you can get more money because of the fraud.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD Rebuild Ripoff? UPDATE

I called the shop and gave them the run down on things. I brought up the broken dipstick and thier reply was "What!?" and then they asked me "are you sure it wasnt broken before and didnt notice it?". Theyre bold arent they? I brought up the pan gasket and main seal issue and told them flat out i can tell the pan gasket wasnt touched as evidence by the old dry caked on dirt on the gasket itself. The pan gasket is on the invoice but wasnt replaced. They proceeded to tell me they did the main seal and the pan seal. Well, there is no pan 'seal', just the main seal, pan gasket, and the front seal by the balancer. I called a few shops and all agreed with me. The shop owner (AAMCO) slipped at one point and said they did the pan gasket, something about 2 seals at the back. I only have a one piece main seal tho. I brought up all the little things like a crooked exhaust hanger bolt, the upside down exhaust hanger, crooked bolt on the hanger so its probably stripped (its not even in the whole way, about 1/8" out and crooked), and the fluid that was on the firewall and the strut tower. I didnt mention the fluid coating the trans mount/hanger or the exhaust. But i did tell the guy they arent very detail oriented.

They want me to bring it in so they can look at it, LOL yea, and clean the dirt off the pan gasket so they can say "see its replaced now". But i told them im taking letting otehr places look at it first. Shop didnt say much but thank you and i hang up.

Should i have a shop drop the trans to see if the main seal was even done? AAMCO isnt touching it.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

If you do that they are likely to say "well since another shop touched it you no longer havea warranty with us" I work at best buy and have to tell people that everyday. Its a precautionary measure to insure yourself from fixing others mistakes. I would take it to aamco and tell them you want them to lift the car so YOU can show them your findings. Also mark the oil pan gasket in a way that you can identify it. Then, have them fix all of these things. Then get back up under there and see what all has been done. It sounds like they are lazy and do things half ***, hassle them enough and they will get it right to get you out of their hair.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
86_GT_5.0
2nd Gear Member

im a trans tech, and to R&R and overhaull with arebuilt converter hd clutchs kevlar rev band transgo or Superior shift kit your choice parts and labor 12/12 warranty 1195.00 plus fluid and tax, and by the way AAMCO stands for "all automatics must come out"
Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Transmission shop gimmick. "We will have to drop your tranny before we can accurately diagnosis it"
Then they have you by the ***** because they are def. going to charge you an inflated labor charge if you decide not to let them repair it.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 PM
new2v8s
1st Gear Member

when i got my trans rebuilt it only cost me 500 with everything new. =\. they did everything. dropped it, tore it apart and rebuilt it.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

you paid for the warranty, thats why its high