5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tranny question for you pros

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tranny question for you pros

How did your T-5 swap turn out?? Did you get a new bezel and everything so it looks factory?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:03 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Yep..i bought everything from a guy who was parting out another 94. From him I received the bell houseing, trans, driveshaft, crossmember, shifter, handle, clutch cable, pedal assembly, shifter bezel(that was actually brand new) and then the clutch n flywheel, but that was replaced. The only things i bought new were flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, bearing retainer(upgraded to the steel one) and then fluid. Next spring its definatly gettin a short throw and probably an aluminum driveshaft. I was just lookin to get this thing runnin to have for the next couple weeks before winter really hits..cuz my auto was completely toast. It would just stop n rev up while turnin into a road(sometimes with like a semi coming, ya it sucked lol)....but ya i mean it took up i think like 11 hours total. in two nights work..had it up an runnin the second night at 1130 after starting at 4pm that day...im so glad i did it...its not even believable how much more fun, and faster it feels now. Definatly gotta get something better than the sumis for the rear tho...my gear, an the t5 bascially aniliate my rear tires lol...but its all fun
Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'll also have to probably pack some grease in the back side of the input shaft where all the needle bearings are that the output shafts tip ride on......the needle bearings can be quite trying without packing it with grease to hold them in place
Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM
95stang5.0
3rd Gear Member

Ok thanks everyone looks like i might beswapin input shafts
Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: mjr46

you'll also have to probably pack some grease in the back side of the input shaft where all the needle bearings are that the output shafts tip ride on......the needle bearings can be quite trying without packing it with grease to hold them in place
its a solid bearing... there is a cage that holds everything together... no grease is needed
Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

no adder i know what he's talking about... the roller bearnings btwn the input and output shaft... they float freely in theinput shaft, and the input shaft rides over them...

only thing i want to add is that i suggest taking the race out of the retainer, and putting the shim out of the original retainer (its behind the race) and using it with the new input shaft...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: dimebag

no adder i know what he's talking about... the roller bearnings btwn the input and output shaft... they float freely in theinput shaft, and the input shaft rides over them...

only thing i want to add is that i suggest taking the race out of the retainer, and putting the shim out of the original retainer (its behind the race) and using it with the new input shaft...
mine wasnt like that... but I also have a 94 cobra... so idk
Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea well the cobra's had some differances... so maybe u got lucky lol... remind me one of these days i can show u a pic of a spare input shaft i have(its now my clutch alignment tool lol) and ur see what im talkin about ... i wouldnt be suprised if yours being a cobra is in fact differant
Old 11-11-2007, 10:10 AM
95stang5.0
3rd Gear Member

Ok Thanks. Any One have any idea where to get an input shaft that I need?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

uh.... astroperformance.com[:@][:@] might have it. try DDperformance.com 1st though

i know i dont have an extra, only one i have is all ****ed up... um... try junkyards... or ****, u can usually get a **** t5 for like 50 bucks tops... thats always an option too, and just take the input shaft off of it

Quick Reply: Tranny question for you pros