5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Wrong water pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default Wrong water pump

What do you guys think the syptoms (other than overheating) of having a standard rotation water pump on a motor that is made to run with a reverse rotation such as our fox's?

Today I got torun my motor the longest I have since I havegotten it going and as soon as I shut it off the it started over flowing and pretty muchacting like it was over heating. My temp gaugedoesn't read anything and I havn't tried an aftermarket gaugeyet cause I donothave the extra cash for one. My cap still regulates so Ithink it is still working correctly.I don't have a fan shroud on just yet and I know that might be part of the cooling issue but I figured that it would do while it is running not as soon as I shut if off. The motor was in a bronco before I got it and I am not sure what belt setup they had on it. I was thinking maybe a stuck thermostat but then my top hose shouldnt have all the pressure that it does should it because the water flow goes from the block to the radiator thru the top hose right?

Would having an air bubble in the system cause it to do this needing to burb the system?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Wrong water pump

to make sure the system is bleed properly I usually turn the heater on high..and once the heat starts blowing good and hot the trapped air is usually out...as far as it bubbling over after you shut it off....if your radiator doesn't have an overflow bottle.. that's what will happen..it'll puke it onto the ground...when you shut the car off the flow of liquid stops hence it doesn't pass through the radiator to remove the heat and the fluid absorbes even more heat from the block and as it absorbs more a liquid expands as it's heated and what is happening to you will happen!! ..also get a shroud on there...and a temp gauge before you blow it up cause you don't know the temp
Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: projectresto83

What do you guys think the syptoms (other than overheating) of having a standard rotation water pump on a motor that is made to run with a reverse rotation such as our fox's?
The only time I've ever seen that happen the car kept blowing the lower radiator hose off (within minutes). I kinda doubt that's what you've got.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Ok, thanks guys. I don't have an over flow hooked up yet but I do have plenty of antifreeze jugs, do you think that will be sufficiant enough? At least for now until I get a factory one. Its not like it goes anywhere, the trans is screwed. My temp gauge did work when I first got the motor running on leave back in July and the temp looked good at that time but now it just stoped working. I'll have to check over the wiring to make sure something didn't come loose.

And I don't have my dash or heater box installed right now and the heater core isnt even hooked up right now anyway so I can't turn the heat on and check it that way. Next time I start it up again I will have to try and burp it again and see what happens.