5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Park Does NOT Mean Roll **update**

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

Default Park Does NOT Mean Roll **update**

Hay guys, having some major problems with my AODE. 95 GT Auto, trans is all stock. 133,xxx miles! no rebuild yet.

Problem: 1. Park does not work. Period. I have to start the car in "N".
2. Slipping. When at WOT revs before it kicks.
3. Some leaking from the output Shaft but i do not think this seal leak is the culprit just another problem.

4. Also trying to sell the car! i ship to the army in june i can not have this car by then this is a problem!

Assets: I work at a ford dealership here in Iowa. Im a regular Oil mechcanic nothing fancy. Know plenty of guys and work everyday with all my managers so i can probally work something out as far as labor goes, cant do jack myself sorry.
Also have an f250 to haul around a tranni if i need too.

Solutions: Is it finally takin a crap on me? If so what do i do? Looking for the cheaper more efficent solutions considering my assets.
Rebuild?
New tranni?
-Where to buy?
-Another AODE?

I hope this isnt to much of a book to read. Please help guys, no i havnt talked to the dealership yet since this park problem is just happening today. Ill take almost any advice i can get. just remember im trying to do this cheap!

Thank you, please help im desperate.

**update**

ok reverse went out too the other day so i decieded it was time to pick an choice. i talked the the dealership i work at and for 900 bucks (after core) i can get a reman tranni with 3 year 75k mile warenty on it. this is comming through the dealership too, cheapist i could find around town without going to the junk yard.
Now i started worrying about labor how was i gonna get this done cheap since i dont have the time or tools to do it. well normal labor at the shop is 90 bucks an hour BUT i just found out i get a special rate of 30 bucks an hour! the swap is booked at 5 hours. so for 150 bucks i get dealership Remove and install of the tranni and i pick the guy (which will be kyle cuz joe's a jackass).
Tell me is there anyone out there who think they can find a dealership or tranni shop that can beat tht price $1050 total b4 tax on a reman and install? doubt it kinda lucked out on this one, wait nvm my tranni just deid im pissed. thanks anyways guys!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Park Does NOT Mean Roll

ORIGINAL: Kickinwing77

Hay guys, having some major problems with my AODE. 95 GT Auto, trans is all stock. 133,xxx miles! no rebuild yet.

Problem: 1. Park does not work. Period. I have to start the car in "N".
2. Slipping. When at WOT revs before it kicks.
3. Some leaking from the output Shaft but i do not think this seal leak is the culprit just another problem.

4. Also trying to sell the car! i ship to the army in june i can not have this car by then this is a problem!

Assets: I work at a ford dealership here in Iowa. Im a regular Oil mechcanic nothing fancy. Know plenty of guys and work everyday with all my managers so i can probally work something out as far as labor goes, cant do jack myself sorry.
Also have an f250 to haul around a tranni if i need too.

Solutions: Is it finally takin a crap on me? If so what do i do? Looking for the cheaper more efficent solutions considering my assets.
Rebuild?
New tranni?
-Where to buy?
-Another AODE?

I hope this isnt to much of a book to read. Please help guys, no i havnt talked to the dealership yet since this park problem is just happening today. Ill take almost any advice i can get. just remember im trying to do this cheap!

Thank you, please help im desperate.
1.prndl switch is probably bad
2.tranny may be low on fluid if not bands are worn and needs a rebuild
3.either bad seal or grove worn into yoke on driveshaft
4. buy a reman tranny then or rebuild it!!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

Ok, ill see what i can do about the prndl switch.
ill double check fluid and act fill accordingly
no idea what u said but im possitive theres a bad seal
what am i looking at for prices? or even a rebuild?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

nevermind on the seal issue..I misread the post.....and the seal leak could be a contributor to prob cause it can cause a low fluid level...that's why I reccommended check fluid level first before condemming tranny....as far as cost.....a reman one can cost anywhere from 700 and up...to rebuild it may cost as much if paying someone to do it as it would be to purchase a reman one
Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

alrighty and what are you thining as far as labor. i know several guys who wouldnt hesitate to help but were gonna want the luxury of the shop to do this so im going to be paying someone for the actual install. Whats the the complexity of a swap? unbolt and unplug and drop. new tranni in and bolt and plug in?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

5-7 hrs to r and r tranny and just a unbolt and bolt a new one in...as for price who knows..you need to talk to your manager and the guys doing it for you to see what kind of deal they will give ya'
Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

where abouts are you at in iowa, im in the quad cities
Old 02-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

ok 7 hours is much better than what i had envisioned. well thanks so far man but im still open to anyones ideas. again im selling the car so im listenign to pretty much anything cheap