5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

331 stroker and twisted wedge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
TrickFlowTech
Banned

Default RE: 331 stroker and twisted wedge?

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

I'm not sure anyone has pointed it out yet, but if you're ordering a stroker kit, depending on the brand of kit and whose piston they use, those heads may or may not work. For example, if you are buying a Scat kit from someone, their standard pistons will not have valve reliefs for a Twisted Wedge. To use a TW heads, it's a different PN of piston and you have to specify. If the kit had been upgraded to Probe pistons or it's a Probe kit, then Probe put both standard inline valve reliefs and TW valve reliefs in their flattop and dished pistons. You would only need a specific piston is you ordered a Probe dome piston. Anyway, just make sure when ordering a kit you buy one with valve reliefs for those heads.

Also, I wouldn't have a problem running the standard 170cc TW head on a 331 or 347. Chances are you're going to throw away a lot more hp in other areas to worry about any gains from the 185cc version. And as for the 331 vs. 347, I'd always take a 347, but that's not really the subject of this thread.
Thanks for the welcome to the site guys.

The above statement is correct. If you are going to go with a stroker kit get one with a piston that is for our head. By doing so you are not limited on cam selection like you are with a inline valve type piston. Most of the aftermarket pistons built for the TW head will support up to .650" lift.

The person who was talking about the wear and tear with the 347 is correct in my opinion. I also agree with what was said here:

Theoretically a 347 has more piston side loading, but realistically it won't make a difference in terms of wear. Things like bearings and oil pumps will wear out before pistons/rings will in a 347. As long as you have a good lubrication system, use quality parts, build it well and maintain it well, it won't be an issue. The only real difference comes from piston velocity limiting rpm potential, and since most street cars will never see the rpm limit of even a 347, if you stroke it, go all the way.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:47 PM
DytchDoctor

Default My 331 Stroker

Originally Posted by MusicCam94
Ok, so im building my 94' gt motor, and im planning on stroking it to a 331. will the heads in the twisted wedge kit work for a 331 motor? also, whats size throttle body should i get with this kit? and any recommendations on any specific lifters?
I realize this is an older post but wanted to respond anyway…

I built a stroker for my coupe several years back. The engine was balanced, forged crank, windage tray, stud girdle, forged pistons, TFTW Heads, TFTW Track Heat intake, TF Stage 2 roller (sorry, can’t remember the specs right off hand), 60lb injectors, 75mm throttle body, MSD ignition, 93’ AL9 computer w 5-speed, 90mm MAF, long tube headers. I also put a 300lpm fuel pump in, as I had originally planned to supercharge the engine….never got around to it before my first child (and suspension of $$ for my toys) w 3.55 gears.

The local chassis dyno shop was more than happy to take my money and provide me w the numbers. I can’t find the spec sheet for the exact numbers at specific RPM’s (again,19 years ago).

She made 386 hp and 358 ft lbs Tq to the ground…yeah, I was VERY proud and surprised at the numbers w/ a stock ECU.

I hated to sell my little beast BUT the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the one at that point in our family planning!

Now, I am gonna ruffle some feathers here…if I had it to do over again…It would have been an LS swap with much more power for much less money in comparison to what I forked out to build the 331. I thought about it then but didn’t want to commit that engine sin at that time.

I truly wish I’d have had the chance to take her to the track before we parted ways. The dude I did sell it to apparently thought it was a 9,000 rpm engine and he splint the block in half about a week after he bought her…so sad!
Old 10-14-2022, 04:54 PM
DytchDoctor

Default One more thing to add….

In addition to my previous post, the only reason I chose the 331 over the 347 was the wrist pin design. I couldn’t get the piston rings actually being across the wrist pins….a big red light w “FAILURE POINT” wouldn’t clear my mind…may just be the OCD I deal with…
Old 10-14-2022, 04:59 PM
DytchDoctor

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
Thanks for the welcome to the site guys.

The above statement is correct. If you are going to go with a stroker kit get one with a piston that is for our head. By doing so you are not limited on cam selection like you are with a inline valve type piston. Most of the aftermarket pistons built for the TW head will support up to .650" lift.

The person who was talking about the wear and tear with the 347 is correct in my opinion. I also agree with what was said here:

Theoretically a 347 has more piston side loading, but realistically it won't make a difference in terms of wear. Things like bearings and oil pumps will wear out before pistons/rings will in a 347. As long as you have a good lubrication system, use quality parts, build it well and maintain it well, it won't be an issue. The only real difference comes from piston velocity limiting rpm potential, and since most street cars will never see the rpm limit of even a 347, if you stroke it, go all the way.
I also chose the track heat intake and used the stage 2 TF cam. Your estimate was just about right on the money. Mine made 386 hp and 358 ft lbs Tq to the ground.