5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

W.....T.....F????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
poopaloop

Default W.....T.....F????

i have a 89 GT, i just installed new rear control arms and springs. Its been sitting about 3 weeks starting it up every other day. but everytime i started it this week itll run about 5-10 minutes then start breaking up and popping like its not getting enough fuel then it will die, i turn the electrical on and the fuel pump (which is stock but very loud) makes i higher pitch noise than usuall, i turn the key on off on off a few times then the pump sounds normal and it starts up runs 2mins then dies again.

What could be causing this? bad fuel filter? tps? iac? maf? or non of the above
Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: W.....T.....F????

You need to get a fuel pressure gauge and watch it when this is happening. Could be pump, FPR, or filter but less likely the filter.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 PM
poopaloop

do i NEED a gauge or is there an easier way to find out the issue? i mean when i start it and the pump is making the higher pitched noise it sounds like its just sucking air, then when it goes normal like it finally gettin some fuel.

also...i havent looked for the stock fpr (dont laugh plz lol) idk where it is or wat it looks like, do i jus follow the fuel lines in from the rails until i find somthing that looks like a fpr? haha
Old 04-25-2008, 07:14 PM
poopaloop

quick bump

Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

The FPR is on the fuel rail and should be visible at the back from the passenger side, next to the EGR. The more I am thinking about it, it sounds like the fuel pump is heating up and not pumping correctly but a fuel pressure gauge is still cheaper than a pump and is a handy tool for any fuel injection vehicles. Check harbor freight usually cheap and work well for normal use.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

yes, you NEED a gauge