5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New 5.0 Owner, questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:29 AM
PeloTudo

Default New 5.0 Owner, questions

Hi guys. I'm jumping over from the import side over here to the domestics with you guys. I picked up my first "real" Mustang a few days ago, and haven't stopped working on her since. </P>

My first car was an 89 LX 2.3L, total piece of crap. Then I swapped over to a couple low 13 sec Hondas, and now I'm back to an 88 GT 5.0.</P>

There's a lot of stuff done to it already, and I picked it up for a killer deal, so I decided to start working on my first real domestic. It's an 88 GT, AOD, with all Cobra ground effects, grill insert, lights, etc., whitefaced guages, chip, lowered on Eibach Sportlines w/ Gabriel 6-way adjustable shocks, and a few other things.</P>

I'm trying to figure out what exactly has been done to her so far. The guy that sold it to the girl I bought it from spent a lot of $$$ making it look identical to a Cobra. It's got the front insert, all new ground effects, the rear bumper, and the 86 looking taillights. A whale tail wing, and a pretty new black paint job. Engine wise, it seems pretty strong. It's got an AOD, but it doesn't feel stock at all. How can I tell if it has a shift kit in it? It shifts smoothly, but hard, and when it hits OD, it hits HARD. I also checked to see if it has gears, and it looks like its got 3.55, but I'm not sure (we did it w/ the tire rotation vs driveshaft rotation test.). The 5.0 looks like a stock 302, nothing special other than the loud *** cut-off exhaust (right under the drivers seat). Its been swapped, but I don't think anything has been done to the engine yet. Its also got a chip in it, but I'm not sure. I've done a full tuneup since I got it (tranny fluid/filter, oil, plugs, cap/rotor). Stuck a new battery/alternator in it, and it's good to go now.</P>

I need to pick up a new driveshaft also. I can jack it up and turn the driveshaft, and I hear clanking inside, like the pipe inside is busted. Anyone know how much I can get one for, and how much trouble its going to be to replace? </P>

That's pretty much it for her right now. I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow. Any little tips/tricks for the 5.0 I can do to grab a couple extra HP while I save up to get the exhaust welded on?</P>

</P>

-Jon</P>
Old 10-21-2003, 09:23 PM
boarder50

Not a hard job to do at all. I have a web site here that i did mine from worked reallly well. I paid about 170-180 at summit for mine and it well worth it, if your hearing noises and can confirm its the drive shaft. If not you'll only lose weight off your car, cant go wrong.</P>

</P>

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/scdrive.html&lt;-- instructions</P>

http://store.summitracing.com/&lt;---for the part I believe that you'll need product # FMS-m-4602-J or FMS-M-4602-G</P>

</P>

Good Luck!</P>

</P>
Old 10-22-2003, 06:41 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Yeah driveshaft is easy if you can get under the car. Jack and tall stands are a must.
Should be 4 12-point bolts, perhaps 1/2" or 5/8" to undo the rear yolk, then yank it out of the tranny (ok well the T5 anyway). I've seen the Ford racing aluminum driveshaft for as low as $150 somewhere.

But that's rotational mass which makes even more of a difference than static mass.

Pull the passenger's kick panel plastic off, then pull out the ECM - if it's got an aftermarket plug in chip it'll be plugged into the port on top. If it's one of the soldier-in kind then you'll have to crack the case.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:33 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

welcome to the forums and the lightside