5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pressing on steering wheel messes up idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default Pressing on steering wheel messes up idle

Hey guys,

I just got my new quadrant in and when I went to start the car it started kinda rough, and I noticed the fuel gauge was below "E". So I got some fuel, poured about 4 gallons in there, and it still started rough. Once it finally fired, it still sat on "E", Thats when I noticed the Oil Pressure gauge was bellow "L". The voltage gauge never worked and I have the stock water temp gauge unplugged, but I still used the factory fuel level and oil pressure gauge. What could've caused these to go out? The tach still works. I put in a new coil but the car wouldn't start so I threw the old one back in and it still started rough. PLEASE HELP!!! I get my license tmrw and want my car to work by then!

Edit, just went and checked. If I turn the key backwards and just activate the electronics, the fuel gauge reads(I have 4/5 of a tanks). But when the cars attempting to start, it reads "E" and it says I have no oil pressure. Then if I fight with the car and pump the throttle, it'll fire, then I have to rev it real quick to prevent it from stalling, then it idles for 10 sec, and dies. What's going on? The car ran like a champ till the quadrant crapped out, then I ordered a new quadrant and a new coil. Like I said, with the new coil it wouldn't start. And with the old coil it won't start good or run.[/align]
[/align]
More news. Went out there, plugged in the new coil, it took a second, but it fired. Oil pressure and gas gauges started goin up good, then it sputtered, stayed running, and the gauges stopped working again. If it changes anything, I changed the tilt angle of the steering wheel this last time. And the car cuts off when I go to get out and bump the steering wheel.[/align][/align]
Even more news, I've found that with bumping into the steering wheel, it'll run different. If I hit the lower right area of the steering wheel, it cuts and restarts. Doesn't this have something to do with the steering column ignition stuff? What can I do? PLEASE ANSWER![/align][/align][/align]
Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Pressing on steering wheel messes up idle

sounds like your car isnt as clean as you think it is.

typical of a fox to have wiring problems...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for pointing that out. Wasn't aware already. Anyone have any actual ideas? Someone on another board said it sounds like it could be the ignition switch. This sound plausible?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Might wanna get under the dash and look around. Sounds like you knocked something. Look at the ignition switch on the side of the column. They tend to come apart anc cause all kinds of problems.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Okay guys, kinda feelin better now. Did some searchin and found an old thread on another boardwhere a guy had the very same problems I was having, and it turned out to be his ignition switch. So I found mine and pulled it, I got lucky and didn't have to deal with the tamper proof bolts. Someone had switched em for regular bolts. In the other thread someone said that the plastic seperates from the metal and causes the problems. So I snapped some pics of mine. Does this look like it could be messin me up? I will be pickin up a new one tmrw.

Fixed your links for ya
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
9 Sec 93 LX
1st Gear Member

On my 83 GT with a tilt wheel there is a square (pushrod) inside the steering column.
Its purpose is to activate the remote mounted ignition switch when you turn the key.
Well long story short, mine broke the rod (cheap pot metal crap) in three pieces.
Drove me INSANE until I figured it out(lots of intermittent weird problems like you're having).
Could'nt order new one from dealer(they didn't have any idea what I was talking about)!
So I went to the boneyard and bought the whole steering column.(after I had changed ignition switch and fooled with the wiring forever).
No problems anymore.
Just my .02 worth.
Good Luck!