5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Running Rich, wont pass inspection...OBD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 AM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

Default Running Rich, wont pass inspection...OBD?

1995 GTS 5.0L
MSD Hyfire 6 Blaster Coil, New PYPES header back exhaust on the way, dont want to burn out new converters.
Wont pass inspection running rich.
Have not tuned up yet, I am in Iraq till July 10th.
Dont want to spend day diagnosing, and want to drive my car legally.
Will taking the car to the dealership and putting on Diag computer tell me if its o2 sensors or MAF sensor?
I can time the car, and do plugs wires and cap/rotor.
But I only have 18 days leave, and one is being burned up putting exhaust on. and trying to get inspected....so any quicker way to diagnose would be appreciated.
I have BBK cold air and a new clean filter, no custon tune on the ECM, no add on chips either.
BBK underdrive pulleys too, trying to think of anything else that may be important info to help the gurus out there help me figure it out before I get home.
My wife will take it to a local dealership in Dallas for me and get it diagnosed, if I knew what kind of info they give you when they hook up to the onboard.
Any help wouild be greatly appreciated.
Jason Robinson
Baghdad,Iraq

Old 06-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Running Rich, wont pass inspection...OBD?

Nope..... it doesn't work that way. The system only informs what the EEC and sensors are reading + if any failure codes are logged, but it will not "inform" the cause of a failure. Once a failure code is ID'ed, or a symptom confirmed, it's the Technician's job to identify and execute the pinpoint procedures or tests that will help him identify the root cause(s) of the problem(s). A failure code 157 (MAF sensor went below 0.4 volts during the last 80 warm-up cycles), for example, does not necessarily mean that the MAF is faulty...... a bad contact in the MAF connector, a broken wire, a dirty MAF sensor or a faulty ECM, are also possibilities that need to be tested for, and eliminated as possible root causes. The scanner or diagnostic computer will not "tell" the operator........ "code 157 is logged, and the reason why, is because the Light Blue/Red wire of the MAF signal is partially broken, making intermittent contact with the crimped pin inside the MAF 8-pin connector of the extension harness"...... as an example.