5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:30 AM
5.0 GT

Default Need Some Help

The vehicle is an 885.0 GTHO. My starter sticks, but only sometimes. I had it in the shop for a month and have a new starter, solenoid, ignition switch, and EEC. I can't figure it out to save my life so, any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Need Some Help

don't know why you'd have an eec installed cause that'd have no bearing on the starter sticking the eec doesn't control the start circuit......it may have a bad ignition switch or the lock and tumblar may be not returning fully causing the contacts in the ignition switch to be incontact partially sending a signal to selonoid to engage and apply current to starter and if that's not the case even though you have a new starter per say..if it's a reman one the bendix may be bad not allowing starter to return to rest position..seen that alot before with reman parts..a simple test light on the correct post on the selonoid can confirm where the prob lies...I sure hope it hasn't taken a shop a month to still not resolve this simple issue/system prob..if so and they threw an eec at it trying to fix it I find a different shop who understand wiring diagrams
Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 AM
5.0 GT

I agree with you on the different shop Idea 100%. The EEC was replaced for another reason, I just threw it in there as one the new parts they put on, not knowing if it would affect anything.When it does stick, I tap the the top wire (Not sure of name, it's a small boot) and it un-sticks, but it I tap the solenoid it does not. I don't know if this helpsbut I hope so.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

that's wierd...I'd have a test light handy when it does it and the key in the on position/running ...that wire should not have current on it..only in the crank position.....by tapping on it it could have a faulty connection/elbow connector..but still in the run mode no current should be on that wire