5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fresh motor install HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:22 AM
streetspeeder

Default RE: fresh motor install HELP??

Did you swap back the EEC, Transmission Harness & Dash Harness? Also check the fuel pump relay to see if you are getting a signal to it...Is the Fuel pump primeing

What year is the car by the way?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
streetspeeder

ORIGINAL: calfroper_06

the neutral switch was never changed he didnt get finished with the swap before i got the car thank god cause he had no clue what he was doing at all. Mjr46 im going ou to get a tester to see if it has power, when the motor starts for a second then dies it sounds like its poping threw the intake kinda like a backfire
This sound like timing is off...
Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

its an 88 gt, none of the harnesses were changed and the computer is still the a9l. the fuel pump prims and sounds healthy. we just changed the seloniod and coil for jiggles but the car does run when i use starter fluid but i have to keep spraying it for it to continue running.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

look by now you should see youa fuel problem, it has been said like 3 times, it dosent matter it the fuel pump whines loud, and kicks on and off , if you take a key and take the plastic cap off the schrader vlv on teh rail and press the key into it and fuel just bubbles out you need a pump and filter, you might be getting a whopping 20lbs fuel pressure about 18-20 more will do you !

oh and just incase dont put your head right over the vlv while doing this!

so you got the cranking issue fixed with asoleniod right? if it turns over and wont start then you need fuel! if all other conditions are normal! good plugs, wires etc.....

and if the rail has sufficent pressure then pull the plenum off and the fuel rails and injectors loose from the intake and spin the car over(with no power to the coil) bigfire if you dont!to see if you might have some clogged injectors!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:40 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

well when you press the schrader valve it sprays against the wheel well. im running to the parts store to get a pressure gauge. if not will check the injectors. and no the selonoid dint fix it still have to jump it getting a meter to check if powers geting threw in crank position. and could it be an injector problem if cars starts with starting fluid cause i would think it wouldnt if they were cloged
Old 08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

probly have a ground disconnected somewhere. did it crank with the key before pulling the motor? and it sounds like the vaccum line probly goes to the map sensoron the firewall.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

yeah it would crank the clutch saftey switch and all was still hooked up i just would hold it to crank but now nothing. The previous owner converted to mass air.also can you check fuel pressure throughthe schrader valve with outthe car unningfrist time using one
Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

ok just got done with the fuel pressure check got 40 psi but good news the test help me bleed the system and the car will now fire and run but it wont idle. kinda idles rough played with the timing allitle it would jump up the rpms then die. i can hear a vac leak from behind the intake. but iv run out of time on working on it, you know the whole wife thing lol, also is the map sensor on the firewall cause if so its still hooked up but no vac line to it. would that hurt anything.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

great news to me lol wife let me go back out to play lol, found the vac leak im a dumba$$ it was one of the main vac hoses. ok car still only starts with selonoid but it does fire up and idle. after letting her warm up and everything looked good, oil prssure water volts, i just had to take it around the coldesac, not ******* on it but when you went to give it gas it would kinda hesitate and felt kinda like a miss, could that be timing, im hoping to get a timing light over here tommarrow and set it, does anyone know what the timing would be, its a 90 gt motor, has gt40-heads a 480" lift b cam and bbk headers. dont know if they matter but theres the upgrades any info will be great