5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

carb'd supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 PM
killer91
2nd Gear Member

ahhh those are nice but im looking to spend about 3200 at the most with the fuel upgrades, charger and carb
Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Those Weiand 174s work pretty nice if you keep the engine below 5500 rpm. Turns it into a real torque monster. Ive installed several on older mustangs that had the "Im halfway to Pro Strreet" look to them.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
killer91
2nd Gear Member

yea my main use will be on the street and I like my money in my wallet so im trying to do it on a budget. but hey thanks for the help
Old 12-13-2008, 02:06 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

One of my buddys has one of those wieands and he may be selling it soon....hehehehehehehe...oh yea
Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 PM
killer91
2nd Gear Member

yea let me know im interested.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:13 PM
QuarterHorse00
1st Gear Member

Oh c'mon now fellas, just get a screw style PSI 'charger on there.

http://www.psisuperchargers.com/viewproduct.php?id=26
Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Weiand doesn't make a twin screw nor does paxton. Weiand builds roots s/c kits & paxton, centrifugal. Personally I wouldn't recommend weiand because of their lower efficiencies on their smaller superchargers, they still use the two lobe design which has a very low efficiency. Their bigger ones use 3 lobe rotors with a 60 degree twist which is a more efficient design, but roots superchargers are just like other superchargers in the aspect of you can go too big. A big supercharger where not needed will put a heavier drain on your engine to power it & will have more leakage so low end (& in some cases mid range) will suffer.

Originally Posted by killer91
Im looking to supercharge my 84 mustangs motor and put it into my 70' f100. I will probably be using a draw through carb using a twin screw supercharger. Does anyone know of any kits that are available preferably under 3k?
You're going to have trouble finding a twin screw kit for that cheap and on top of things finding a twin screw kit for carburated without requiring some modification. Kenne Bell makes a twin screw for a fuel injected 5.0, but it will set you back quite a bit & will require you to custom make your intake for a carburated setup.
Originally Posted by killer91
true and id be able to run a huge intercooler to. but im only looking for about 400hp right now. thanks for the info.
There is no rule that you can't run an intercooler with a roots or twin screw. Most roots & twin screw setups are mounted on the lower intake for space reasons not because it's required, intake valleys are fairly spacious. The tbird supercoupe is a good example of a front mount intercooler used with a roots supercharger. While it looks like it's going directly down into the engine if you look closely you'll notice the supercharger is upside down & blowing the air through a tube going to a small fmic, then routed back to the intake manifold. The requirement is that you place the throttle body(or bodies) BEFORE the supercharger so the rotors are spinning in a vacuum as to not do damage. The alternative is to use a bypass valve, which I would not recommend; the reason being is that even the smaller superchargers move upwards of 450cfm at higher rpm which would be tough for a bypass valve to bleed off, if it failed you could kiss your engine goodbye.

The downside to the front mount setup. The further your throttle plate is away from the engine the slower the throttle response, but it doesn't suffer horribly... if you've ever ridden in a supercoupe you'll notice throttle response is anything but sluggish in them, just something to keep in mind.

Personally roots are my favorite type of belt driven supercharger for the higher efficiencies of newer 4 lobe 160* designs aswell as the fuel economy aspect when equipped with a bypass valve, unlike twin screw & centrifugals, roots don't compress the air internally which means higher fuel economy if a bypass valve is used. Even the newer eaton designs are fairly efficient when compared to older designs & the two lobe like the smaller ones weiand uses. If price is an issue I would recommend an eaton m90 if you're staying below 430hp, above that I would recommend the m112. BBK has their bbk instacharger which uses an m90 & is fairly similar to what my 5.0 kit was but again, not built for carburated. The downside to the kit in performance aspects is the 180 degree inlet.

If you can't modify the kits your only luck may be with weiands designs, otherwise I'd say centrifugal.