5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Exhaust ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
How often are you going to be taking out your headers, honestly?

If you are getting ceramic coated its not as big of a concern.
...I hear ya...I had Ceramic Coated Hooker Long Tube hearders on my mid-10 sec Mustang...there just a pain to work with! ...Since he already has headers & h-pipe, I'd stick with that & put my $$$ elsewhere....But that's me!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

So there is no real HP gain with going to Long tubes? For some reason i was under the impression it was like a 10hp gain over shorties.

Whats the benifit with going ceramic over not? Other than it dissapating the heat better. Is it that much of a diff?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

Lt's are EXTREMELY difficult to install with the motor still in the car. They also sit very close to the ground so you need to be careful when driving in certain areas. The gain over a set of EL is minimal. Id say maybe 5-10 at most depending on brands and the set up you have. If your looking to go big then yea the LT's will help out in the long run but if your staying small under 400 id stay with the EL's. Savve yourself the headaches and aggravation if you ever need to take them out. Good luck
Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=StrongStang50;5945788]So there is no real HP gain with going to Long tubes? For some reason i was under the impression it was like a 10hp gain over shorties.

Whats the benifit with going ceramic over not? Other than it dissapating the heat better. Is it that much of a diff?[/QUOTE]

Ceramic not only dissapate the heat, but like you asked about, they look better for much longer time. Chrome will discolor and look crappy after a few heat cycles, but the ceramic can look new after a few years as long as you buy a good brand. personally i would recommend BBK for one main reason. the flange is solid instead of on each primary. So if they should ever have to come off its much easier to get them lined back up to bolt down.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

[QUOTE=94Yellow50;5945929]
Originally Posted by StrongStang50
So there is no real HP gain with going to Long tubes? For some reason i was under the impression it was like a 10hp gain over shorties.

Whats the benifit with going ceramic over not? Other than it dissapating the heat better. Is it that much of a diff?[/QUOTE]

Ceramic not only dissapate the heat, but like you asked about, they look better for much longer time. Chrome will discolor and look crappy after a few heat cycles, but the ceramic can look new after a few years as long as you buy a good brand. personally i would recommend BBK for one main reason. the flange is solid instead of on each primary. So if they should ever have to come off its much easier to get them lined back up to bolt down.
they dont dissapate heat....they contain it. The ceramic coating helps to hold the heat in the header which works a twofold function. A. keeping the heat in the exhaust helps keep up the exhaust flow. B. By keeping heat in the header you dont release as much into the engine bay so you dont do silly things like melt plug wires and such as frequently (supposing you dont lay it on the header lol)
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

My car is auto and the only brand that even makes ceramic Long Tubes for my car is MAC. I plan to get he MAC long tubes and the MAC pro Chaimber tomorrow. When i bolt it up to my SLP Loudmouth II itll rumble.

Will it sound any different than my shorties and H pipe?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Is it best to bolt the Long Tubes to the engine and sink it all in as one piece or set the Long Tubes in about where they would sit and bolt them in that way?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by StrongStang50
My car is auto and the only brand that even makes ceramic Long Tubes for my car is MAC. I plan to get he MAC long tubes and the MAC pro Chaimber tomorrow. When i bolt it up to my SLP Loudmouth II itll rumble.

Will it sound any different than my shorties and H pipe?
catted h pipe?

yea it will sound different either way. If youre going from cat to no cat yea its going to be stupid loud.

Originally Posted by timspony
...I hear ya...I had Ceramic Coated Hooker Long Tube hearders on my mid-10 sec Mustang...there just a pain to work with! ...Since he already has headers & h-pipe, I'd stick with that & put my $$$ elsewhere....But that's me!

lol yea i know what ya mean. You could always get an aluminum gasket and dont break things that necessisitate you taking off the exhaust, and your set

Last edited by Slo5oh; 02-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Last question i promise:

Do the long tubes come with the O2 sensor ports? I deleted my smog pump and all affiliated hardware but my O2 sensors are still screwed in to the H pipe. Will I even need these or just order long tubes with no emmissions??
Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

I currently have an off road H with no cats.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ??