5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang Hesitation, stuttering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

so you replaced everything but the coil
Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
so you replaced everything but the coil
I'm pretty sure I don't know what the hell a coil is. I feel stupid, but it's better to just go ahead and admit it.

Enlighten me!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

it's what gives the car it's spark
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Follow the wire from the center of the dizzy cap to the d.side fender. That is your coil.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riceinator
Follow the wire from the center of the dizzy cap to the d.side fender. That is your coil.
Yep, I still feel stupid. I didn't know that was one of the tune-up items. Or is it just one of the things like the IAC that you just replace on general principle? LOL
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

that could very well be your problem the napa where I work has an Ignition coil for a little under $22 but that's the cheap one
Old 02-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

that could very well be your problem the napa where I work has an Ignition coil for a little under $22 but that's the cheap one
Now when you say "the cheap one" it never is a good thing. It means there is another one out there that naturally costs 3 times as much, and it also insinuates that you'd be a real dumbass to buy "the cheap one". Am I right on this? What does "the good one" cost, and what brand/spec/capacity is "the good one" (meaning, how does a dumbass like me know he's getting "the good one")?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
Now when you say "the cheap one" it never is a good thing. It means there is another one out there that naturally costs 3 times as much, and it also insinuates that you'd be a real dumbass to buy "the cheap one". Am I right on this? What does "the good one" cost, and what brand/spec/capacity is "the good one" (meaning, how does a dumbass like me know he's getting "the good one")?
if I was you I would get the cheap one it lasted on my 85 and is still goin strong but the next step up will cost you a little more than $55
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

how far away are you from the ga. line?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

how far away are you from the ga. line?
REAL far! Southwest coast, about 70 miles south of Tampa. I dug into it today, and started with the coil, and finished with reaming my K&N air filter out, and an oil change. I took it for a little joy ride, and I was waiting for the stutter, but it never came. I'm going to daily drive the Stang for the next couple days and give it the real test, but so far, it looks like it was the coil. (A massive thanks to you for tipping me onto that!)

Next weekend, if this problem remains gone, I'll try to pull the codes, although it looks pretty confusing... I bet it's the 02 sensors. With 300k miles on the stock H and presumably, the sensors, I bet that's what's tripping my CEL.

Quick Reply: Mustang Hesitation, stuttering...