5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang Hesitation, stuttering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang Hesitation, stuttering...

Hey, guys.

I thought I fixed this problem with the tune-up, but guess what...

It does it in all gears, but it happens most at or above 2000 RPMs, when the car is at operating temp. On a cold start, it runs great, but about 10 minutes of driving, and the car stutters, just once or twice in each gear at first, then it gets bad enough to make driving embarassing.

I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter, and it still does it. It really jerks the car around, and if it's doing it really bad, it accelerates like a mack truck. It almost feels like the car is shutting off for a tenth of a second eash time, and my wife says she can see the car buck.

Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

are you sure your firing order is correct and have you messed with the timing? I am not doubting your ablities but triple check everything...you didnt turn the distributor at all? make sure all wires are on the plugs all the way. have you cleaned your sensors? TPS, MAF, how do your o2's look? Check engine light?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grnstang
are you sure your firing order is correct and have you messed with the timing? I am not doubting your ablities but triple check everything...you didnt turn the distributor at all? make sure all wires are on the plugs all the way. have you cleaned your sensors? TPS, MAF, how do your o2's look? Check engine light?
Well, the reason I got all hot and bothered to do a tune-up is BECAUSE of the stuttering. I replaced the wires one by one on the old cap, then greased and transferred them one by one to the new cap. I haven't touched the timing, because I wouldn't know how to anyway... I was gentle with the distributor, and the plugs are all greased and secure. I do have a light, but I've had that light steady fo about 2 months. Maybe it's a new code. I should get out a paperclip and give a shot at pulling codes. I haven't touched sensors, so I'll give those a once-over, and how do I check an O2 sensor? Do they look bad if they are, or do I have to pull a code to know?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
BlackStallion5.0
1st Gear Member

Im not sure exactly whats goin on w the stang but from what I have seen there is no way to physically see what is wrong with an O2 sensor by pulling it but it should throw codes if it is. I would try running a scanner on it real quick just to make sure it isnt the O2. They can be expensive.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

if the 02 was bad it would throw a lean/rich code.

if u have a CEL, you need to address that first.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Get that Engine Light checked out first. Hopefully it will point you in the right direction. I know I had a very similar problem, and it turned out to be the pickup in the dizzy. Also could be the TFI module.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riceinator
Get that Engine Light checked out first. Hopefully it will point you in the right direction. I know I had a very similar problem, and it turned out to be the pickup in the dizzy. Also could be the TFI module.
I have seen the paperclip code checker walkthrough stickied around here. Is that fairly straight-forward? Now if I pull the codes, and they don't give me a clear culprit, in what order should I check the remaining suspects?

You know, it almost feels like I turned the ignition off and turned it back on real quick while I was accelerating... I've experienced a general hesitation or bucking, but this feels different. It really jolts the hell out of me, and it only happens when the car is hot. Does that lead us more towards the area of the distributor and TFI?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

yeah it does look more like ignition or distributor related. run codes and let us know
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

The problem I had was identical to your problem. As if the ignition system would be turning on and off. Only when at operating temperature. Run the codes, post them up on here.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riceinator
The problem I had was identical to your problem. As if the ignition system would be turning on and off. Only when at operating temperature. Run the codes, post them up on here.
I'll do that as soon as I get a couple hours to mess with it. BTW, that is one sweet looking car you got there.

Quick Reply: Mustang Hesitation, stuttering...