5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

The Low Down on Lowering Springs installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
sutherds

Default The Low Down on Lowering Springs installation

With winter on the downward slope, I want to get going on lowering my 92 GT before spring but am a little confused as to what I need. Please forgive me but I’m used to lifting trucks and not lowering cars. I’ve managed to do a little research and pretty much narrowed it down to Eibach progressive rate springs since it will be driven on the street. Here is where I get confused, what more do I need? Do I need to order shocks, cast/camber plates, bump steer kit ect? I would like to figure out the difference of what I NEED to do and what is NICE to do so I can order stuff as money comes in.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

depending on the amount of drop you may need CC plated. generally with these cars anything lower that 1.25-1.5" of drop you cannot get into spec with stock CC plates. you'll have to judge from there if you need bumpsteer based on how it drives. how far your are you dropping your car, that would help judge what you need.

with new springs its worth the money to buy new spring isolators, avoid the annoying squeak and save your springs. IMO this is a, need. i got mine from energy suspension, good piece.

since the springs will be progressive rate you should be ok with stock suspension as long as its not beat to hell itself. but if you've got the money and looking for a super smooth ride i'd really look into new shocks/struts. are you just going for look are you trying for performance as well? little more details on what you're lookin to get out of the swap. also budget details will help use suggest products too.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
sutherds

Thanks for that extremely fast reply.

I was planning on getting the isolators since squeaking is one thing that I cannot tolerate. I am going for a great ride and handling, the appearance is just icing on the cake. I was looking at dropping it about 1.5” so the cast and camber plates would be optional right? What kind of shocks would you recommend for a much better ride?

Budget isn't really a huge issue just as long as I can break it appart. I'd rather spend the money on good products now than cheep out on something and wish I had spent a little more later.

Last edited by sutherds; 02-25-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you're righ ton the threshold if you will need the cc plates. IMO you should get them anyways but they can be pricey.

im a bit biased on shock/strut choice since i run strange. but i've ridden in foxes with KYB's and konis. if you can afford it...summit throws together a killer package deal on strange shocks/struts, CC plates and springs all for 680 dollars. you save like 13% altogether. the kit comes with ford C spring iirc but you can call the rep and have them switch out the springs for anything you want that they sell and still retain the discount.

the sweetest part about hte strange suspension is not only the price, but that you can change your set up on the fly since they are adj. so you can ride in comfort one minute all the way down to the autoX course and then get out, twist a **** and now you have a ridged set up for the course.

but i understand about breakin the project down and i agree with you. my pockets cant afford all the cost at once so i just pick up a few parts here and there.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
sutherds

Does the Strange suspension have a good ride on the street? Thats where I'm most concerned about since it will not be on the strip much.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
91lx50udlose
2nd Gear Member

just get stock replacement shocks and struts that will be your best ride
Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

they arent just a strip strut/shock however you can put them on a pretty low setting. to where the weight of the rod itself will make it go down however you can go all the way up to where i can stand on the shaft of the strut and it wont budge. so you have a huge range of adjustability. there are various members on here using them for more than just drag racing.

most other shocks and struts you have a straight rate and must be rebuilt with diff perprotioning valve deal to change the ratio. only thing that sucks is because strange shocks and struts are a performance based product that are pricey but its quite a deal in that kit. there are many other companies other than strange out there. i just have the most experiance with them personally. other styles ive just ridden in the car. ask around. make people tell you why they are better/different and pick what best suits your application. also call companies that make the product, they'll always give you the highlights of their products.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 02-25-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

kinda on this topic, i'm planning (i have alot of plans, lol) to do a complete suspension facelift. lowering springs, shocks/struts, cc plates, control arms, bushings, antiroll kit and anything else that would give a better control (its my daily car and my kids going to be in it at times so i want it to be as safe as possible). i've started putting together a suspension packaged and noticed how much i can spend, and not picking parts all for drag. my 88 is in need of an alignment. would i benifit at all in getting cc plates before the alignment. i've seen most of them are 150-$200. since this is going to be an eventual need, is it worth getting before everything else. my plan is to get everything else before replacing anything else, so it can be a complete all in one facelift.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 AM
enoughsaid
1st Gear Member

I would definately get cc plates. I have done a lot of alignments and you can drop the fox without plates and keep your caster in specs but not your camber. Without the plates you will eat up tires on the inside. I have the same setup you are going with and I have a bumpsteer kit. It made a sizeable difference in steering. I run tokico adjustables but I wouldn't run them again. I think I am going to switch to strange. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

i am not going to be lowering for a while (maybe about 6mo - 1yr). i've got sealing all the inside with the top and seals first (working with a sm budget - but planing on using the write/quality equipment) ---- rainy season coming=not trying to drive and shower at the same time.

I need an alignment - at least asap

Will the new plates be overkill on investing in for a fresh alignment?
Will i get any better alignment with the new plates?