5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

deciding headers and mid pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM
sitruk
1st Gear Member

why you say H pipe?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:55 AM
sitruk
1st Gear Member

ok so i'm really thinking long tubes and x pipe, but now its which brand, is bbk ok, or should i check out some others along the same price range?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 AM
smacked1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
I live in VA and I don't have to pass any smog testing with my car but we have to get a state inspection every year and they check to see if you have cats.
Originally Posted by sitruk
haha the funny thing is ford tough is that my parents are actually moving to VA this summer, so if i were to register my car over there it seems that i wouldn't need the smog test according to what you said. not sure how long tubes would be hard to install. i have a lift and everything i can use to get under my car so that part wouldn't be hard. just curious why you guys would say to do unequal shorties if i did shorts, isn't equal better because it evens out the exhaust pressure and would give equal performance for each cylinder?
im in VA and need state inspection every 1 year and emmisions every 2 years

depends what county i guess you're in
Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
sitruk
1st Gear Member

huh, interesting. your probably right, it most likely does depend on the county. i know that in WA where i am now, i need smog test, but if i registered over in the small area of Walla Walla i wouldn't need it
Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
sitruk
1st Gear Member

so any suggestions on what brand to go with? bbk, mac, . . .
Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
smacked1
2nd Gear Member

i have mac shorty equal headers, pypes x pipe with high flow cats, and a magnaflow catback to finish it off

i will also be purchasing a set of mac either offroad x or h pipe havent decided
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Hey sitruk, I'm in Washington also and looking to get at least a new midpipe.

If I end up getting a pipe, i'd be going with a BBK catted h-pipe, since I can't really find any other brands of catted h-pipes (including MAC). However, I think the BBK pipe does sound very good.

But, if you're going for longtubes and a shorty midpipe, you might want to search youtube for some 5.0 exhaust videos with a similar setup. Try things like "longtube 5.0 mustang" or "bbk LT mustang" etc. Also, a good place to check for sound clips is http://www.mustangexhaust.com.

By the way, is it possible to install cats on an o/r h-pipe? Like do they have splits in the pipe for installing them? Because some o/r h-pipes are really cheap, so buying cats for them might be cheaper than buying an h-pipe with cats.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
By the way, is it possible to install cats on an o/r h-pipe? Like do they have splits in the pipe for installing them? Because some o/r h-pipes are really cheap, so buying cats for them might be cheaper than buying an h-pipe with cats.
ofcourse its possible, but why bother? an O/R pipe is just a regular H-pipe with no cats.

Just get the one with cats
Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
By the time you have a shop weld them together for you, I doubt you would see a cost savings. If you can weld it yourself, then you may be onto something....

sitruk,
Where abouts are you?
I'm in Arlington... no emissions tesing.
Move to Marysville (stones through), and there is testing.

I would go with long tubes. Main reason being to support future changes better.... and I think I would even go with 3"... but that will get some arguments from others here
As far as X or H... dunno... There are a ton of variables that would make one better than the other, and I know enough to know I'm not smart enough to predict that with any accuracy

Drop me a pm guys... I'm always looking to meet more local yocal Washingtonians

jason
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vristang
By the time you have a shop weld them together for you, I doubt you would see a cost savings. If you can weld it yourself, then you may be onto something....

sitruk,
Where abouts are you?
I'm in Arlington... no emissions tesing.
Move to Marysville (stones through), and there is testing.

I would go with long tubes. Main reason being to support future changes better.... and I think I would even go with 3"... but that will get some arguments from others here
As far as X or H... dunno... There are a ton of variables that would make one better than the other, and I know enough to know I'm not smart enough to predict that with any accuracy

Drop me a pm guys... I'm always looking to meet more local yocal Washingtonians

jason
Not trying to be too off topic... but that would be awesome to meet some other Mustang owners in the area. Last weekend (Memorial) I was hoping and trying to find if there were any Mustang cruises or meets or anything around the area... but no such luck. Always wanted to be in one.

Quick Reply: deciding headers and mid pipe