5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power loss, hesitatation, sputter, chug

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:49 PM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

Your car can have codes without the lights on. Get a Haynes manual for the love of god. There are three different codes, Memory codes, Key on engine off codes, and Key on Engine on codes. If you get a code 14 (which I'm feeling you'll prolly get since it doesn't light up when running) you need a new $50 distributor. My car was doing the same thing for three years till I figured that out. If that is the problem, make sure you get the exact distributor (i.e. cast iron vs. steel) you are replacing, otherwise you'll royally fu** up your engine like the good Mark Neib did (see sig).
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

what is your timing set at?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mighty90
Your car can have codes without the lights on. Get a Haynes manual for the love of god. There are three different codes, Memory codes, Key on engine off codes, and Key on Engine on codes. If you get a code 14 (which I'm feeling you'll prolly get since it doesn't light up when running) you need a new $50 distributor. My car was doing the same thing for three years till I figured that out. If that is the problem, make sure you get the exact distributor (i.e. cast iron vs. steel) you are replacing, otherwise you'll royally fu** up your engine like the good Mark Neib did (see sig).
I've gone back and forth with the feeling that the distributor is faulty. But, i'll check codes first....It has to be a steel gear btw, at least for my set-up...A while back, when I was buying the new motor, I was interested in getting the MALLORY distributor; found on 50resto.com

Originally Posted by Black89LX
what is your timing set at?
My timing is at 13, as of two years ago. I'm going to check that as soon as my timing gun gets returned to me.

As it turns out, something came up and I need the money else where. So, I'm putting this all off until I have the time as well. (I'm moving; in the middle of legal issues)
Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

So, I FINALLY got the time to go out to were my car is stored. I got my timing light back.

Found out that my timing wandered to 20 degrees. I turned it back to 13. It runs A LOT better. Did an Idle Setting Procedure as well.

The car still shows some lag. My vacuum gauge now reads at 15 instead of 10. I want to get to read at a consistent 18-20.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cholericfc
any other suggestions?
Yes. Stop replacing parts and start diagnosing the problem. This will save you a lot of money, hassle and not any perfectly good parts tossed into the trash can.

By your description, it sounds like the ignition timing isn't being advanced enough when you accelerate. Look closely at the old spark plugs and see if they look fuel fouled or covered in deposits. Go to AllData.com or AutoZone and buy an All Data repair guide for your car. Diagnose, don't replace.

Last edited by RogerDodger1; 11-18-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

The things that I replaced, i did in fact need, all besides the fuel lines.. fan and clutch were inevitable.. The car still runs iffy... But I agree with you, I should diagnose a little more... and it would help me out in many ways.

I did in fact look at the spark plugs, when I replaced them, and they looked fine - gaps were still good, no deposits, wear, or fuel fouled.

My next form action is to get my mechanic to run codes.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

For what you pay a mechanic to check for trouble codes, you can purchase a $50 scanner at Sears and do it yourself, or go to Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone and the will scan the car/check for trouble codes for you for free.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 PM
88 notch
1st Gear Member

sounds like ignition pickup
Old 11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
For what you pay a mechanic to check for trouble codes, you can purchase a $50 scanner at Sears and do it yourself, or go to Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone and the will scan the car/check for trouble codes for you for free.
Once again you are directing a member in the wrong direction, No 1 Autozone does not perform obd 1 scans on vehicles nor do they have the KNOW HOW.....50 DOLLAR CODE SCANNER..COME ON.....what a waste....how 'bout DIY KOEO/KOER test with a paper clip.........posts like this just show me where your tech knowledge is...and it's not with a FORD....Here educate yourself:http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

GOOD STUFF HUH??? and it's free
Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by cholericfc

My next form action is to get my mechanic to run codes.
Read/ follow the link in my previous post, it's easy and free

Quick Reply: Power loss, hesitatation, sputter, chug