5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Front Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony71502
I've never heard of this. Can you elaborate/explain? Flex hoses have steel inside them and I don't see them swelling up like a fat persons arteries.
brake hoses can fail internally. sometimes they fail in such a way that no fluid will travel down it to the caliper, other times, they fail so that fluid will traven down, but cannot come back up (causing a frozen caliper)

if the OP compressed the calipers with the bleeder screw shut, then I would say its the slides, but if he had to open the bleeder to compress the caliper, then chances are good its a bad line.

If there was way too much effort compressing the caliper... then its a bad caliper
Old 04-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
brake hoses can fail internally. sometimes they fail in such a way that no fluid will travel down it to the caliper, other times, they fail so that fluid will traven down, but cannot come back up (causing a frozen caliper)

if the OP compressed the calipers with the bleeder screw shut, then I would say its the slides, but if he had to open the bleeder to compress the caliper, then chances are good its a bad line.

If there was way too much effort compressing the caliper... then its a bad caliper
Winner.
It was ridiculously difficult. I'll check it out some more this weekend, though. New Adjustable Clutch Cable/Quadrant will be here, and I need to fix this god-awful oil leak, too.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Mattalicious
Winner.
It was ridiculously difficult. .
use the method I posted to verify it, 100% way to verify such
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Yessir! Will be doing it all tomorrow. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Well, I thought the problem had been resolved. I figured the slip/slide pins were too tight, so I basically redid the brakes. Took the pads off(Driver's side is the culprit), buffed the pins, lubed them up, etc. Tried compressing the piston to get the pads back on and it didn't want to go, so I opened the Bleeder a bit and it went back easily. Put everything back on and it seemed fine for about 2 days, until I was driving earlier and it basically locked up on the rotor, causing me to have to pull over and wait for about half an hour until it was drivable again. Calipers? Probably what I'm going to grab next. They're not too pricy.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Tried compressing the piston to get the pads back on and it didn't want to go, so I opened the Bleeder a bit and it went back easily.
Calipers? Probably what I'm going to grab next.
Since you opened the bleeder, and the caliper went back easy, you need to replace your rubber brake line.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Since you opened the bleeder, and the caliper went back easy, you need to replace your rubber brake line.
Simple enough. Any links of where I could find said brake lines? I am trying to find them on SummitRacing.com, as they always have my stuff delivered next day, via ground. :O
Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

2% more carbon makes them swell up
Old 04-20-2010, 06:05 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Simple enough. Any links of where I could find said brake lines? I am trying to find them on SummitRacing.com, as they always have my stuff delivered next day, via ground. :O
your local parts house would be the smart place to look
Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Going to grab the rubber brake lines today and throw them on when I get the chance. Hopefully all goes well!

Quick Reply: Front Disc Brakes