5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power windows no workie

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
s0lidllama

Default Power windows no workie

Just picked up my '90 stang today. The power windows/locks do not work and I dont even know where to begin to troubleshoot so any help is appreciated. I found a wiring diagram and got out my trusty 2 prong volt tester and no light bulb flash. As I type this i realized that my volt tester is for 120/220 house systems so maybe thats why it didnt register? Im going out to buy one later but does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I couldnt find a blown fuse unless theres another fuse box besides the one under the dash.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Check for 12v/14v incoming from the pink wire. If no power here, fuse/wiring problem.

If Pink wire is good, press and hold the drivers side window button DOWN. Check for power in the White/Black wire. If no power here, switch is bad.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 PM
s0lidllama

ok checked it and its not getting power. is there a fuse diagram handy because ive checked all of them and theyre good unless maybe the power window one is missing?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

#14 is not a fuse, it is a circuit breaker. Quite possible that the wires going into the door have opened and closed enough that wire broke inside the rubber harness protector between body and door.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

did you check all the fuses under the hood as well as under the dash?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 AM
s0lidllama

ok so i pulled the fuse box out under the dash. there is only one pink wire leading to the power window circuit breaker. im assuming there should be at least one other? ive looked at the rubber seal around the wires in the door jam and it looks practically new. no rips tears or cracks
Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 AM
s0lidllama

ok just checked the pink wire leading at the circuit breaker there is no power there either any ideas where to go now?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

the switches are known to go bad, check your ground should be on the door under the door panel in the center I believe
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 AM
rockhead

Some one had jumped the power supply on the fuse box on mine. There was a fusable link off that(back side of block) to the windows that had pulled apart. Pull the kick plate off the left side and the lower set of wires closest to the door frame was where mine was located.
So look for a patch between there and the fuse block fusible link or in line fuse holder with a blown fuse. If you can find this wire I believe black/wht stripe iirc and attach it back to the other side of the breaker it will work.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:14 PM
s0lidllama

Originally Posted by stang8689
the switches are known to go bad, check your ground should be on the door under the door panel in the center I believe
well i was hoping it would just be the switch but when i checked it with my multimeter there was no power coming into it so i checked the fuse box found the circuit and theres only one wire going into that slot so im assuming that a wire may have been pulled out when someone was fiddling around under there.

Originally Posted by rockhead
Some one had jumped the power supply on the fuse box on mine. There was a fusable link off that(back side of block) to the windows that had pulled apart. Pull the kick plate off the left side and the lower set of wires closest to the door frame was where mine was located.
So look for a patch between there and the fuse block fusible link or in line fuse holder with a blown fuse. If you can find this wire I believe black/wht stripe iirc and attach it back to the other side of the breaker it will work.
I havent seen an inline fuse anywhere. Ill look tomorrow when I start back on it. Im going to try to run a direct connection to the motor to see if it even works. It would really suck to figure out the switch and wire situation just to have a bad motor too.

Quick Reply: Power windows no workie