5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Wrong Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
1FST5OH

Exclamation Wrong Gasket?

This will be my first post on the forums (besides the new members area) but hopefully y'all can help me out

I just replaced the valve cover gasket on the passenger side, I had to take out the throttle body to beable to pull the cover out and put it back on...

well I wasn't expecting to pull the throttle body so I had to quick run to Advance Auto Parts and pick up a TB Gasket, they said that there were two different types, and the only thing I could come up with is between the EGR and plenum and between the TB and EGR.

So I said to the parts guy I want the one for between the TB and EGR.

I put the gasket on and hooked everything up and started the car...no leaks!

but now I have a separate possible issue...

after the change, just today, I notice a coolant smell, but I can't see any leaks, and I figured it may have just been some runoff burning off...but it continued for a bit, and for some reason I smelled it at the intake, and everytime I rev the motor "smoke" comes out of the shorty where it connects to the "down pipe" and it still has that smell.

So I'm wondering if I got the wrong gasket and the coolant is leaking into my plenum or its just more burnoff and the exhaust flange just has a leak, but either way I don't know....help.

SOrry for the long post, but I wanted to give all the info I could, the car is a 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 and the Gasket is here...http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_966077997___
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
1FST5OH

Just thought of something, does this gasket have a certain way it needs to be positioned? that "tab" is facing up on mine, may be causing the issue? or no?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Disconnect the coolant lines from the EGR plate and block them off then see what happens.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
1FST5OH

found the issue, I put the gasket in wrong like I thought....works fine now. Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Just for future reference...i've always found it easier to just take off the whole upper intake as one unit. takes maybe 10 mins to remove and it's a snap to put it back on.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
1FST5OH

Originally Posted by 02WhiteGTVert
Just for future reference...i've always found it easier to just take off the whole upper intake as one unit. takes maybe 10 mins to remove and it's a snap to put it back on.
yeah I was thinking of that, and I probably would have, but where I'm renting now I only have street parking, so I was trying to get it done quickly, it wasn't too bad with the tb off, just needed some extensions.

has anyone ever bypassed the coolant lines going to the tb? will it have any negative affect? in my mind heating up the air going into the intake would rob perf.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1FST5OH
yeah I was thinking of that, and I probably would have, but where I'm renting now I only have street parking, so I was trying to get it done quickly, it wasn't too bad with the tb off, just needed some extensions.

has anyone ever bypassed the coolant lines going to the tb? will it have any negative affect? in my mind heating up the air going into the intake would rob perf.
i really don't see it affecting anything. i've had a few cars that were bypassed when i got them, and of course my '94 doesn't have the coolant lines going to the TB. don't see how it could hurt anything.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

cap them off and you shouldn't have any troubles. Everyone I know does it.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
1FST5OH

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
cap them off and you shouldn't have any troubles. Everyone I know does it.
What can I use to cap it off?

I also want to bypass the heater core, its leaking mad, and I don't have the time or place to tear into it right now.

Quick Reply: Wrong Gasket?