5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gear swap begins: What are these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 AM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

you need to press off the bearings the only way your going to get them off go to a shop with a press they might charge you like 20 dollars, and he isnt over his head not hard to do just have to take your time and get all things lined up were they are suppose to be.

i do all my own work to i dont trust shops to much
Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

I dont bother trying to press old bearings off. I just cut them. When you get to the inner shell, you just grind a slot into it and hit it with a chisel. It'll crack and pop right off.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
I dont bother trying to press old bearings off. I just cut them. When you get to the inner shell, you just grind a slot into it and hit it with a chisel. It'll crack and pop right off.
do it all the time
Old 04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

This job went and got real on me lol

Seriously though, I finally got one carrier bearing and race off. I tore the bearing cage off and then cut the race off. Once the cut was deep enough the chisel split the race open so I could pull it off. Thanks for that info. Now I got one more bearing to do but first I am going to pick up something from the hardware store that is sharper for cutting metal.

Also, what do you recommend for the pinion bearing?

I know I need to measure the pinion bearing when getting my calculations for all the old parts vs. when I assemble the new pinion parts.

If my backlash isn't right and I have to remove the new pinion bearing again I might damage it and have to get another one.

Which part do I really need to measure though, the bearing cage or the internal race? The race is thicker from top to bottom than the cage and from what I see would effect the total thickness and backlash more than anything.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 PM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

its not the backlash you have to remove the pinion for its the pattern on the the ring gear the backlash you will have to remove the carrier
Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nightmare90gt
its not the backlash you have to remove the pinion for its the pattern on the the ring gear the backlash you will have to remove the carrier
That is correct. I posted in haste hoping to get my post up sooner and get questions answered. But yeah I was simply thinking the pinion bearing would need to be removed again so I could adjust the shim.

I am not all that concerned with damaging the pinion bearing as I can always get another one since their so cheap. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky the first time around.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:50 PM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

yes everytime you have to add shims you have to remove the pinion bearing, start with the stock shims then go from there
Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Well I was about half way through getting the other carrier race off and I ran out of cut off wheels for my dremel. All I had was thin cut off wheels so it looks like I got to pick up some thicker ones.

Work is a little slow outside now since were facing a levee break here. Authorities are saying to be ready to evacuate. Funny I'm working on this project while others are packing to leave the neighborhood
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need a bearing removal clamp and press for pinion bearing = best way and the too I use for such is not cheap
Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

When I go to install the new pinion bearing, I was planning to freeze the pinion and heat the bearing in the oven to about 300 degrees. I read somewhere not to heat them to 400-450 for some reason.

I read this eases the installation and the bearing should slip right on.

Will the bearing go on all the way or will it still need to be pressed down more?

Quick Reply: Gear swap begins: What are these?