5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

anyone here rebuilt their engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM
warriorpluto

Default anyone here rebuilt their engine?

had low compression on my engine and found out it was the rings. i tore it down to the block. the machine shop now has my rods pistons and crank and block. the machine shop called and said they didnt have to take anything off of the crank and only needed to hone the block. so how hard is it to put the bottom end back together? my friends who are certified mechanics used to rebuild engines back in the day. they say all i have to do is make sure i get the right sized bearing and rings and put it back together but i know there is more involved like measurements. they actually just changed two bearings on a focus that was knocking without measuring a thing and it doesnt knock anymore. i think it was just luck. i have a limited amount of money. machine shop charged me $150 to do everything so that was good. i dont expect this engine to last me 100k. just need it to last me until January. i also dont have a book. dont have the money. i have a complete engine rebuild kit. and ring tools for the pistons. what else do i need to know?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM
hondhunter
2nd Gear Member

doesnt matter how long u need it to last just do it right. its simple with the pistons u need a ring compressor and a butt of a hammer to get them in just clock the rings right and push through making sure not to hit the crank journal and put assemly lube on the cap bearings and make sure the tabs are going the right way..and torque the rod caps. but first the crank gets torqued. i mean this is a quick way of explaining. u need to get a manual or a tech like myself to do it for you. but its not hard..
Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I use lucas instead of assembly lube. I don't put the rest of the lucus in the engine when done though. The most wear in an engine comes in the first few hundred miles. All that crap will stick to Lucus so, don't use it in the pan. I also polish my bearings which no-one else I know of does except the person that tought me. Make sure you don't scratch the crank or cylinder walls and don't forget to prime it before start-up.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

You'll need to get (or barrow) a few things like a torque wrench, a ring installion tool and maybe a friend who knows what he's doing to hang over your shoulder and watch.
Plan on getting a new rear main seal also. Plan on filing the new rings to get the end gap right.
If you go to the local library they should have a book about rebuilding you small block Ford.
BTW, watch out for the 'up side' on the rings, it makes a differance.......
Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 AM
warriorpluto

Originally Posted by hondhunter
doesnt matter how long u need it to last just do it right. its simple with the pistons u need a ring compressor and a butt of a hammer to get them in just clock the rings right and push through making sure not to hit the crank journal and put assemly lube on the cap bearings and make sure the tabs are going the right way..and torque the rod caps. but first the crank gets torqued. i mean this is a quick way of explaining. u need to get a manual or a tech like myself to do it for you. but its not hard..
What do you mean by clock the rings? Sorry if I may sound ignorant. I'm a quick learner.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:00 AM
warriorpluto

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I use lucas instead of assembly lube. I don't put the rest of the lucus in the engine when done though. The most wear in an engine comes in the first few hundred miles. All that crap will stick to Lucus so, don't use it in the pan. I also polish my bearings which no-one else I know of does except the person that tought me. Make sure you don't scratch the crank or cylinder walls and don't forget to prime it before start-up.
Some guys have told me that assembly lube isn't required for roller engines. Is this true? They stated that they only used oil to lube the bearings.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:01 AM
warriorpluto

Originally Posted by tinman
You'll need to get (or barrow) a few things like a torque wrench, a ring installion tool and maybe a friend who knows what he's doing to hang over your shoulder and watch.
Plan on getting a new rear main seal also. Plan on filing the new rings to get the end gap right.
If you go to the local library they should have a book about rebuilding you small block Ford.
BTW, watch out for the 'up side' on the rings, it makes a differance.......
What do you normally use to file the rings?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Use Lucus instead of regular oil. Assemby lube makes your oil look like you have a blown head gasket.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I use a ring file nowadays but way back when I used a flat file with very fine teeth and had good results.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM
warriorpluto

thanks for the info guys. i really truly appreciate it. i love to learn new things. ill post pics in this thread on my progress. im sure ill be needing more of your help.

Quick Reply: anyone here rebuilt their engine?