5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang heads and full bolt ons Possibly not running like it should be HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I'd try and find out what your compression ratio is. The stage 2 is a nice upgrade also. Look into getting some more displacement
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Great heads, but you're choking that motor with that cam
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by IvanFiveLiter
so what else would you suggest i do besides maybe a stage 2 trickflow cam that i was considering or some told me e303
you want real improvements...tear it all apart and pay attention to detail, such as better valvetrain components..ie lsx stuff......port match, port alignment, porting, larger tb, match to opening, make any transitions smooth, same goes for exhaust ports , ect ect....these are just some things, plenty more to do, but more power and proven combos are ones that spend the time doing all the little things, and it costs, it's rare the bolt on out of the box combos live up to expectations
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

yea about the displacement, it was supposedly bored to a 306. Unless you meaning doing a stroker? I was going to do a 331 stroker but my plans were to turbo it and al ot of people tell me ill make more power with boost with about the same money or even less. The thing is im still kind of nooby to all this advanced stuff but im surrounded by way more experienced friends and mechanics that do my work so theyd have to figure it out more.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Letter cams like the b-303, e-303 are really out dated. I wouldn't go with the stage 2 trickflow cam either for the simple reason you don't know what valve train in there and the stage 2 cam is from like 1500-6500rpm? I think and the stage 1 is idle-5500, and you won't get the full benefit out of it unless you're taking your rpms past 5500 which again if you didn't build it you don't know which parts were used so I'd be really careful with that, stage 1 cam would be fine, also stick with the trickflow because it's designed for that kit, the trickflow heads are choked a bit on the exhaust side, so I want to say the cam makes up for it a bit. You'll want to get a tune if you don't know for sure if you have one on it or not.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Personally you should of walked away from that civic a whole lot harder than that. Maybe when who ever done the intake swap they didn't set the timing where it should of been set at. Also check your fuel pressure. If you're still running the 19# injectors with a stock fuel pressure regulator, then you also might not be getting enough fuel for the setup to make the max power.

Like the one guy said, make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks then from there check timing and check fuel pressure. With a decent tire and some decent driving that set up you have should easily be in the 12's.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

^^^I Like this advice. If your under the impression the car was set up for nitrous when you picked it up the first thing I'd do is check the timing. Nitrous tunes usally retard timing a few degrees to keep everything safe on the spray.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:41 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

yea i need to get on this ive been slacking hard. I need to talk to my friend to do all this because it needs to be in advance due to him being busy with all his customers. Thats the first thing my friend that has a lot more experience with cars and driving than i do suggested. That the car may be an animal when on spray well a lot of cars will be animals on spray, and that it sucks on all motor. The injectors were said to be 24#. Like i said ill try to get a video up of my driving the car with my speedo and going through gears. Only problem is my speedo is off by 10mph because of that gear swap and the tranny wasnt adjusted correctly. I still myself have gotten too used to cars with easy clutches and gears going in smoothly. I havent been banging gears too many times wit hthe tremec 3550 tranny i have and my stiff clutch. Reasons because my clutch cable snapped a few weeks ago but it got replaced right away, and i just feel inadequate after that race like i cant even have too much fun in my car at this point.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

thanks a lot and to most of the guys giving me more hope. Its hard to explain that feeling i got that night like are you kidding me? my car has all this aftermarket stuff and it barely walked away from this bone stock fuel economy car? it made me think anything else on the street is going to walk all over me. Ive said it many times but after that i knew something wasnt right and the 3 other friends that were with me were shocked with the results of the race. I mean we went out all saying lets see how bad the mustang beats this car and we were all convinced something was off. Atleast all you people are giving me hope!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Well to know for sure what injectors you have just pop the hood and look at them. 19#'s will be a yellowish/orange at the top depending on how faded they are, and 24# injectors will be blue at the top of them. With the head/intake/bolt on set up you have the stock fuel pressure should be good (35-37psi) but for all motor purposes the timing should be set at 12-14* base (timing spout out) and if you're not already run 93 octane gas too to help prevent detonation.

If you just put a new clutch cable in the car and everything feels ok then you shouldn't have any issues ripping on the car and jamming gears in it. But one thing I'd do to help give you a little more edge with the stock cam I'd also get bigger roller rockers to 1.7-1.72's to give you a little more lift on the cam. If you have the stud mount heads on your car I have a set of trick flow 1.72 rockers off my car I'd be willing to sell.

Quick Reply: Mustang heads and full bolt ons Possibly not running like it should be HELP!