5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Pump took a sh**?/Car won't star.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel Pump took a sh**?/Car won't star.

Yet again another money pit foxbody issue lol. I was driving today after the car sat for a few days, went on some errands and did not beat on the car drove it pretty normal although I did hit a little to get past annoying drivers in town. I was coming home got to the end of a street to a stop sign threw it into neutral and the car just shut off on me. I go to crank it fuel pump fires up and then it just wont start and the rear end starts shaking. Luckily I was down the block from my house but since its a huge hill I had to leave it down the block thankfully some Samaritans as well as foxbody lovers were quick to help me push the car off the road. One of the guys that helped me also suggested it could be the fuel pump as well as the guy that pulled over and said "I hate to see my favorite car being pushed" haha. I took a little video that im attaching below. Sorry if I said anything wrong or dumb I was tired sweating and stressed out. Car cranks up but starts vibrating in the rear to the right. Battery was just replaced last week so if anyone thought it could be that to get that out of the way

Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

need to put a fuel pressure tester on it and see what you got...also if its bad only buy a good pump like a walbro(holley sold at advanced is walbro) because if you buy an airtek you will be replacing the pump every month or so...
Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It seems to be turning over funny. Its almost like it busted a timing chain. Or sheered off the key in the crank gear. Maybe sheered the roll pin on the dizzy gear.

It just sounds out of time really bad or like it lost compression its spinning really fast. Maybe the dizzy got loose and turned way retarded. The fuel pump sounds fine to me, but it is worth checking the pressure.

Pull the diz cap and see if the rotor is spinning when your cranking it. Check timing. Bring #1 up to tdc and see if the rotor is pointing where it should.

It just sounds like it is cranking over way to fast . My 94 doesn't crank that fast with a new battery and high torque starter on it .
Old 09-01-2013, 05:12 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
It seems to be turning over funny. Its almost like it busted a timing chain. Or sheered off the key in the crank gear. Maybe sheered the roll pin on the dizzy gear.

It just sounds out of time really bad or like it lost compression its spinning really fast. Maybe the dizzy got loose and turned way retarded. The fuel pump sounds fine to me, but it is worth checking the pressure.

Pull the diz cap and see if the rotor is spinning when your cranking it. Check timing. Bring #1 up to tdc and see if the rotor is pointing where it should.

It just sounds like it is cranking over way to fast . My 94 doesn't crank that fast with a new battery and high torque starter on it .
My buddy and I opened up the intake and did the old starter fluid test. Before that we checked the dizzy rotor it was fine. The car was about to start as we sprayed the starter fluid in and it just kept choking out. Now we just need to see if the fuel lines are clogged or just go with a new fuel pump. Preferably walbro 255 because i plan to supercharge the car in the near future
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

FUEL FILTER CLOGGED ?