5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help me find the fuel pump I want please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Default Help me find the fuel pump I want please!

Hi all, my stock pump suddenly died the other day with about 208k miles on it.

The car is mostly stock aside from exhaust and a few bolts-ons, I don't drive it very hard and future engine mods will probably be limited to just heads, intake, and E303 cam, so a 155 pump should be fine.

I happened to like how the stock pump sounded (I know a lot of people don't like hearing it), I could hear it prime up with a nice whine, and I could hear it when standing near the car at idle, but I couldn't really hear it while driving. I'd like something that sounds about the same as the stock pump, but of course quality and performance are paramount.

Now here comes my problem, useful information on the usual parts store brands is impossible to find, and it looks like most of the aftermarket options are all rebranded Walbro units. The big problem is one picture of a Walbro unit will look different from another unit even with the same part number or flow and pressure rating. Some look like the factory original Walbro pump that has a metal outlet and two male plugs on it, others have a plastic plug receptacle for an added plug that ships with it, and a plastic outlet. Why would I ever want or need to change the connectors on my fuel pump? Sure I can easily solder new connections but I shouldn't have to and don't want to, especially if I need to replace the pump in a pinch and then have to modify it back again. And why switch from more durable metal outlet to plastic? I want a pump that is externally identical to the original, with a 155lph flow rating.

Here the Walbro 155 from Summit has the black plastic housing and different plug
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vp...tang/year/1989

But this Summit branded 155 pump that says Walbro in the picture is in the original style that I want.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...tang/year/1989
It's also the same picture as the TrickFlow pump listed down the page.

I've seen the Edelbrock 17930 showing each style on different websites. So what gives, is any Walbro made pump I order now going to be the black plastic one with the stupid plug instead of the original style? I've looked at the Spectra Premium high flow pump on Rock Auto, which looks like the original and is also cheaper than anything from Summit, but of course there is no info on what "high flow" means, 110, 155 190??? I can't find country of origin either, is it Canada, USA, China??? This is rather frustrating, why can't I just find a pump that doesn't require modifying connectors and has the desired flow rating?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

personally id go bigger on the fuel pump in case you do mods in the future.. here is a walbro 255lph pump for 85$
WALBRO 255LPH HIGH PRESSURE IN-TANK FUEL PUMP ONLY GSS340 : Amazon.com : Automotive WALBRO 255LPH HIGH PRESSURE IN-TANK FUEL PUMP ONLY GSS340 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

I might end up going with a Walbro 255.

I ran out of patience and ordered a Spectra Premium high-flow pump for $55 on Amazon, it's really quiet, I can't even hear it prime up. Not what I wanted since I wanted to be able to hear the fuel pump like I could hear the original, but whatever, the car is running now and I was getting tired of driving my Wagoneer on old 36" Swampers to work every day. I'll probably order the Walbro 255 later and install that, more for peace of mind that I have a high quality American made pump (Spectra one is made in China), and so I can hear it, even if 255 is overkill for a car that will never make more than 300hp.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:32 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

it will probably be out in less than 6 months...i dont buy anything but OEM or good aftermarket like Walbro when it comes to fuel pumps....hoepfully you wont get stranded somewhere by a crappy pump..
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Hard to go wrong with a Walbro. I picked mine up for $50, its a 255. Just throw a regulator on there as well and you'll never have to worry about it unless you do some major overhauling performance-wise
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Yea at least the Spectra has a 12 month warranty, I'll order the Walbro and I'll hold onto the Spectra, unless it dies first in which case I'll get my money back. Thanks for the input guys.