5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EGR Code 84

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:23 PM
TOPDowNMUSTANG

Exclamation EGR Code 84

Completely stock 1991 LX 5.0 Convertible, 220,000 miles.

The original problem was that it horribly failed NOx emissions in PA last Friday. HC was a tiny bit high.

Car starts and runs great.
No CEL
I checked the codes. No codes in present memory. Code 33 in stored memory.

Over the weekend:
I checked the EGR with a vacuum pump and it works.
I tried to check the EGR solenoid but one vacuum port broke off. I tried to fix it with plastic glue, which kind of worked. EGR still not working.
I took the solenoid apart and found a broken O-ring which I replaced, then cleaned and reassembled the solenoid.
I checked the solenoid with an ohmmeter and it had zero resistance.
I left the battery disconnected while I was reinstalling the EGR solenoid. I hooked everything back up and before I started it I checked the codes.
I gave me code 84 in present memory.

Monday:
I drove the care to work and back (24 miles) and it ran fine. No CEL
I checked the codes when I got home: Codes 84 in present and 33 in memory.

Today:
I installed a new solenoid. I still have code 84. No CEL. Car runs great.
I checked and I have 12+ volts on one side of the solenoid and 0 on the other.
I used a test light as a resisted ground on the computer side of the solenoid plug and I can make the EGR work.
I jumpered the solenoid plug with a test light and then initiated the KOEO test. The light did not flicker as the test activated the solenoids and switches.
I took the plug off of the computer and I checked the wire from the solenoid plug to the computer plug pin number 33. I have 0.2 ohms telling me that the wire is ok.

In summary:
The EGR itself works. I have power to the EGR solenoid. I have a good wire from the solenoid to the computer. I can make the EGR work by using a resisted ground.

Question:
Did I do something to the EGR solenoid when I took it apart that caused a short in the solenoid which damaged the computer? Is that possible? Do I have a bad Computer?

Why is nothing ever easy?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Did you test the evp sensor? EGR valve position sensor. That code 33 just says that the computer didn't see the egr open. It doesn't mean that it isn't . Those evp sensors wear out , especially with that kind of milage on it.

As far as the egr vacuum solenoid I would replace it, Ive never had much luck with them after taking them apart lol.

Last edited by dawson1112; 12-03-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
TOPDowNMUSTANG

I did not check the EGR position sensor. I replaced it several years ago and I would expect codes 32 or 34 if it were the sensor.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that I connected a vacuum gauge in the line from the EGR solenoid to the EGR and brought the gauge into the car where I could see it. I drove the car back and forth to work Monday and today. The vacuum gauge did not register any vacuum at all which told me that the solenoid was not working.

I replaced the solenoid tonight after work and I have not driven it with the vacuum gauge attached. I will try it again tomorrow.

With the new solenoid I can apply a resisted ground (test light) to the computer side of the solenoid plug and I can make the EGR work.

The new solenoid had about 40 ohms resistance. My old solenoid had zero.

I am still puzzled as to why code 84 did not appear until after I disassembled/reassembled the old solenoid.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 AM
TOPDowNMUSTANG

**Update**

After replacing the EGR solenoid valve I drove the car back and forth to work with the vacuum gauge attached. There was no vacuum to the EGR.

I found a good used breakout box which should be here on Tuesday. I also found an original Ford Shop Manual. I have a few more things to check.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:20 PM
TOPDowNMUSTANG

**Update**

I purchased a used Rotunda Breakout Box and a Ford Factory Service Manual. I found a diagnostic on http://www.justanswer.com/ford/24bzg...t-failure.html and followed it.

I was able to trace the code 84 problem to the computer. I found an exact replacement computer on eBay and replaced it today.

Problem solved. No more trouble codes. I drove the car with the vacuum gauge attached and the EGR is working again.

Now all I have to do is get the car re-inspected.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Excellent work, and thanks for updating the thread. This helps the next guy. Congrats.