5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

another equal length shorty install issue (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:48 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
it looks like they only want you to extend hose B with the metal spacer and extra hose. I don't think they need you to move everything foward, but that's just what I'm getting from looking at the picture.

Did anyone provide install pics on the site you got them from? If they're sold by Summit, I believe they have a 24/7 hotline (I think someone does, I can't be sure if it's summit or Jeggs or someone else). But they'll definitely be able to answer it in the morning.

What I would personally do is try to reinstall the tube with just the extension piece (D) in tube (B), and see if the other tubes fit. Does that make sense?

Everyone else, why are you giving him answers to questions he didn't ask? Some people have this thing called emissions/inspection where they live, and cannot just delete stuff.
The smog pump is primarily used during start up to introduce fresh air into the exhaust stream, to heat the cats faster. Removing the smog pump setup will not cause the emissions to change, itll just run a little bit dirtier when cold.

Once the cats are hot, the smog pump isn't doing anything but sit there and look ugly.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 64bit
The smog pump is primarily used during start up to introduce fresh air into the exhaust stream, to heat the cats faster. Removing the smog pump setup will not cause the emissions to change, itll just run a little bit dirtier when cold.

Once the cats are hot, the smog pump isn't doing anything but sit there and look ugly.
and weigh like 30 pounds for all of it.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
it looks like they only want you to extend hose B with the metal spacer and extra hose. I don't think they need you to move everything foward, but that's just what I'm getting from looking at the picture.

Did anyone provide install pics on the site you got them from? If they're sold by Summit, I believe they have a 24/7 hotline (I think someone does, I can't be sure if it's summit or Jeggs or someone else). But they'll definitely be able to answer it in the morning.

What I would personally do is try to reinstall the tube with just the extension piece (D) in tube (B), and see if the other tubes fit. Does that make sense?

Everyone else, why are you giving him answers to questions he didn't ask? Some people have this thing called emissions/inspection where they live, and cannot just delete stuff.
i ended up doing what i thought was the way they were implying it should be set up. replaced A with E, then put ADB in place. the length of E is pretty much the same as ADB, so i feel good about this. what i dont like is that as i said, the assembly is moved forward, and now G and its hoses are tilted down so that C can connect to the pump. the line that connects to the top of G is a little taught, but im going to zip tie some things so theres no stress on it.
i was pretty jammed up all week, so calling for info was at the bottom of the list. i did shoot an email to bbk tech this morning. i expect they will suggest i do what i did. will update when i hear back.